We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver to Calgary september

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver to Calgary september

Myself, husband and new baby are planning a trip to Vancouver in early September. We are renting a car and planning to drive to Calgary taking in Jasper and Banff. We aim to fly back to Vancouver from Calgary. We want a relaxing trip with a little bit of adventure along the way. Our baby will be 8months at the time so any travel advice for travelling with a baby is welcome. What i really would like is accommodation recommendations and sights to see along the route, we would love to stay in log cabin for a few days if we can afford it. We are easy going when it comes to accomodation as long as it is friendly and clean and the location is ok we're happy. i am planning on booking accommodation this week. The route i've looked at is as follows.

Arrive in Vancouver - stay 1 night to rest after long flight

Day 2 - drive to kamloops

Day 3- drive to Salmon Arm

Day 4 - drive to Revelstoke

Day 5 - Revelstoke

Day 6 - Lake Louise

Day 7 - Lake Louise

Day 8 - Jasper

Day 9 - Jasper

Day 10 - Jasper

Day 11 - Banff

Day 12 -Banff

Day 13 - Calgary

Day 14 - Calgary

Day 15 - Fly back to Vancouver

Day 16 - Vancouver

Day 17 - Vancouver

Day 18 - Vancouver

Day 19 - Vancouver -fly home

our budget for accomodation is approx 2000 dollars. I really would appreciate any advice as this will be my first big trip abroad and we are flying from Ireland so I am a little bit nervous.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
16,406 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver to Calgary september

I think your accommodation budget may need to be increased, as it works out to only $111 per night, which won't get you much in the way of accommodation in many of the places you are visiting, and it won't cover any log cabins. Early September is still high season. Don't forget that there will be taxes on top of any nightly rate that you are quoted - they vary from place to place; here in Jasper, they total 11% (5% GST (federal tax), 4% Alberta Tourism Levy (provincial) and 2% local DMF).

Lake Louise is very expensive for accommodation (a private room at the hostel is about $110 per night, taxes extra) so you might want to consider staying in Banff instead. Banff is only 45 minutes away and has a much larger selection of accommodations, and more in the way of budget & moderate accommodations. Banff and Lake Louise accommodations are all listed at www.banfflakelouise.com .

In Jasper, two older hotels have rooms under $200 per night (Athabasca Hotel and Astoria Hotel), but standard rooms in most hotels run $200 to $275. :-( Some of the more basic (or older & smaller) cabin accommodations come in a bit under $200 per night too ... check out Bear Hill Lodge (in town), Patricia Lake Bungalows and Pine Bungalows (both close to town), Pocahontas Bungalows (out of town on the highway east by about 1/2 hour drive) and Sunwapta Falls Lodge (out of town, south, 55 km). You can find all the hotels in the Jasper area listed at www.jasper.travel .

One alternative for Jasper is "private home accommodation" (PHA), which is a room or a suite in a resident's home... these are about half the price of hotels .... they vary from budget rooms with shared bath at about $65 per night, up to a full 2 or 3 bedroom apartment at $150 - $200 per night. $90 to $120 or so will get you a hotel-style room with private bath. www.stayinjasper.com

For a log cabin, I would suggest Alpine Village here in Jasper, a perennial favourite here on TripAdvisor - they have one type of cabin at $180 per night, but most are over $200 (and some close to/over $300) . http://www.alpinevillagejasper.com/

Paradise Lodge, near Lake Louise, would also be a nice choice - it's only about 1 km from the lake, and is a similar set-up (and price) as Alpine Village.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
49,805 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver to Calgary september

Hi Mellie12 ~

I'm just looking at your planned itinerary. You've got a couple of very short, two hour drives that are down as a whole day's travel. From a Canadian point of view that seems like a needless use of time, even though with a baby, you do want to be sensitive to time in the car. I also like the arrangement of LL, then Jasper and finally Banff which makes an easy drive to Calgary. Here's an idea for your consideration.

1 night Vancouver

2 nights Kelowna. More appealing than Kamloops with the lake and family oriented activities. Take a break on the way at Hope, then again at Merritt before heading east on Hwy 97C. Hwy 5 between Hope and Merritt is a functional, major, point A-B highway designed to get people back and forth quickly between the coast and the interior, so there are few stops along this section.

2 nights Revelstoke, then on to LL and continue.

I think you could do with 1 day less in Calgary and 1 more in Banff. WestJet and Air Canada fly practically every hour to Vancouver, so you could leave Banff in the morning, spend the rest of that day visiting Calgary, and a good portion of the next day. Then take a later afternoon flight to Vancouver. Probably will be enough for Calgary.

So aside from the suggestions for day 1-5, you know your baby best and the easy schedule you have after that I think will help make the trip easy.

A couple of heads up. Check into the car rental costs for a one way drop fee. That will be something to consider. Know that Sept 3 is Labour Day long weekend here. An American hol too and they are right next door and keep coming to visit for some reason. :-) Kids will be going back to school on the 4th, and families will be on the roads in the Greater Vancouver area in great numbers. Making reservations for your accommodations will be needed.

<<What i really would like is accommodation recommendations and sights to see along the route>>

So I would suggest for help with the British Columbia portion of your travels, as you are requesting, post on the British Columbia Forum. In Kelowna, for example, I suggest you check out the Travelodge Abbott Villa on Abbot St.

Edit: If you are not aware of the one way car rental drop fee, and you find it onerous in any way, you still have enough holiday time to shift things around and return by car to Vancouver, by a different route, and save that drop fee.

Edited: 4:46 pm, April 08, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver to Calgary september

Thank you for your reply I think we will definitley increase our stay in Banff and reduce the time in Calgary. It is also good to know about kids going back to school on Tues we will aim to head off late morning. we are staying in a hotel near airport on Mon 3rd and collecting car the next day. We'll need to relax after a long trip. I will check out Kelowna. Thanks again Mellie12

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver to Calgary september

Thank you for all your advice I have decided to stay in Golden and found a nice B and B. It is a lot more reasonable than Lake louise :) I have increased accommodation budget and will factor in taxes from now on.

Thanks again you were a great help to me. :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
22,471 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver to Calgary september

I agree that your first few days of driving are short, but given you have a baby and this is a holiday, I think that's a great plan. I think you might enjoy a night in a more rustic location than Kamloops (sticking with your original plan) and you might find something inexpensive and with a lot of character in the small towns up the Fraser Canyon ( I would suggest, given your low driving days, that you plan to take highway 1 rather than highway 5 to Kamloops)

Lac La Jeune is a bit of a holiday destination in that area that might work for you (but its on the 5). You might also find something of interest around Ashcroft. As we usually camp, I am unable to personally recommend any accommodations, but I'd look for a ranch or guest house type of accommodation, off the highway.

hellobc.com is the BC tourism website that has all the approved accommodation listings, then check the hotel reviews on TA for any places that look interesting.

6. Re: Vancouver to Calgary september

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:40 am, June 19, 2013