We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary Zoo

moncton nb
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Calgary Zoo

We will be visiting Calgary for several days in mid May and are looking at a visit to the Zoo. We have not seen any comments on it and are wondering if it would be a worthwhile experience for say a 4/6 hour visit.

Alberta
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary Zoo

Hi Jacques123,

Calgary Zoo is a very intesting place. I highly recommend visiting there if you have the time.

Another thing though that is even more intesting than the view if you can spare some time, is the Mountains, Banff is just under 2 Hours from Calgary.

But back to the zoo, Calgary Zoo is without a Doubt the best Zoo I have been too!!

BTD

Mentioned in this post
The Calgary Zoo
The Calgary Zoo
3,591 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary Zoo

If you have the time I would suggest a full day. Calgary has a first class zoo. For more info go to http://www.calgaryzoo.org/.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary Zoo

The Calgary zoo is great. You will spend the better part of a day there, easily.

My favorite is the butterfly room, in the conservatory. Be sure to check it out!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calgary Zoo

Well worth the visit Jacques. If you're into picnics I would suggest that that would be a nice thing to do. May is a nice time of year. Don't dress to warmly if it will be a warm day or you could tire out. But there are plenty of shaded areas as well.

Also welcome to the TA forums.

P.S. Kaslo your avatar is cool!

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calgary Zoo

Thanks onward! Gotta keep the faith!

moncton nb
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calgary Zoo

Thanks everyone, we will be planning a visit and look forward to a full day at the Calgary Zoo.

Mentioned in this post
The Calgary Zoo
The Calgary Zoo
3,591 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
283 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calgary Zoo

Our zoo is the 2nd largest in Canada and the new Africa exhibit is really cool. I think you can even buy pictures painted by one of the elephants!

UK
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Calgary Zoo

Can anybody recommend a budget hotel near the zoo. Many thanks.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calgary Zoo

b-careful ~> There aren't any hotels around the Zoo. The closest would be downtown and if you are driving. There are some mid to high cost ones near the airport. However, the Zoo has it's own LRT stop that is our public transit similar to a subway but above ground. There are a group of hotels also at the Banff Trail LRT stop in the NW so you could easily take the train to and from the Zoo.

Here is a few of the hotels in the area called Motel Village.

http://www.econolodgecalgary.com/

worldexecutive.com/directory/…cn387.html

…yahoo.com/p-hotel-376360-quality_inn_motel_…

…away.com/hotels/travel-hotel-details-id1582…

You may find better websites on those hotels than I did; however, there is a start.

Alberta
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Calgary Zoo

Hi B-careful,

The best hotel in Motel Village is the Comfort Inn & Suites. Very nice place, quite new actully. There are 3 Comfort Inns in Calgary. 2 in the Motel Village area. There is Comfort Inn Mecloud Trail. And Comfort Inn Motel Village. I have only stayed in Comfort Inn Motel Village.

It is a really nice place, Free Breakfast & Waterslide. The rooms are very fresh and clean.

2 Hotels I would stay away from in Motel Village is Ramada Limited & Econo Lodge.

Hope this helps!

I think Comfort Inn's site is

www.comfortinncalgary.com

BTD