We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What should I make sure to see?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
What should I make sure to see?

I am travelling to Calgary on March 24th and leaving late on the 27th, 2006, and besides some business at the University on the 25th I will be trying to cram as much sight-seeing, activity-doing, shopping, real-estate looking, and job hunting into those days as I can. Does anyone have any suggestions of places I should try to make sure that I hit? I'm considering a move to Calgary so I want to see as much as possible. Let me know what your favourtie places are!

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What should I make sure to see?

Here are my suggestions:

Sight-seeing/shopping:

- check out the Calgary Tower (the new glass floor they installed is totally cool).

- while you're downtown, stroll down Stephen Avenue (8th Ave) which is a pedestrian street during the day full of vendors, fringe stores, bars, and good restaurants. There is a large mall on that street as well called TD Square, you can do some shopping there.

- Turn north on 3rd St and head down to Eau Claire Market near the river. It's has a unique feel to it. The park close by Prince's Island Park is a quick walk across the bridge and nice to take a stroll through if it is a nice day. China town is also a quick walk east on 3rd Ave.

- You'll want to check out 17th Avenue S.W. for an abundance of cool stores, pedestrian traffic, pubs, bars and restaurants. It has great night life.

- Kensington just north of downtown across the river on the 10th street bridge is another unique area full of shops, cafes, and restaurants.

- Inglewood is an up & coming neighborhood on 9th Ave. S.E. just east of downtown. Lot's of trendy furniture and anitque shops and a couple of cool pubs, restuarants, and cafes.

- Canada Olympic Park is cool to have a look around. You can ride a specially designed bobsled down the track for about $100. It was a thrill of a lifetime and completely safe.

- Try and head out to Banff if you have a day to spare. It's beautiful and only about 1.5 hours from Calgary.

- There is a big mall in Calgary called Chinook Centre which is on Macleod Tr., close to Glenmore Tr. That's your best bet for that type of thing.

- on Sat. March 25th check out the Atlantic Trap & Gill on Macleod Tr. attached to the Days Inn (just south of downtown and the Stampede grounds). Around 10pm the place explodes with people as the band that's playing that night is becoming really popular. It's an East Coast Bar and the party is unbelievable, unique, and hilarious.

- As for the real estate, good luck! Things are moving quick around here and prices are escalating daily. You'll need a good agent to take you around, which I could suggest if you need one.

Have fun in Calgary! Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary Tower
Calgary Tower
2,764 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Eau Claire Market
Eau Claire Market
122 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Prince's Island Park
Prince's Island Park
1,071 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Kensington
Kensington
183 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Alberta
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What should I make sure to see?

If you are in Calgary already, what I would do is Rent a car for the 26th. Leave in the morning to Banff and stay one night in Banff or area. Then drive back to Calgary on the 27th. Just a suggestion as I think you should see the mountains.

Unless you have seen the mountains many times and would rather spend the day in Calgary. Then you should for sure see the Calgary Tower. Other than that Beerboy's suggestions are great!!

BTD

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Calgary Tower
Calgary Tower
2,764 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What should I make sure to see?

If you weren't thinking of moving here, then Banff would be a fabulous suggestion. But you can go there and to the Tower after you move. Those visits aren't going to help you find a job or learn what it's like to live here.

Don't let Beerboy scare you about real estate prices. New home prices are just stupid, but if you're willing to buy something that's been lived in for a few years you can do very well. And either way will be a breath of fresh air after Vancouver!

17th Ave is popular for restaurants and nightlife (old and married, I'm just telling you what I've heard!). For in-city outdoor recreation there's Nose Hill in the north and Fish Creek park in the south (although Fish Creek suffered a lot of damage from last year's floods, and repairing it will take a long time thanks to new building codes for bridges and bike paths).

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Nose Hill Park
Nose Hill Park
310 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Canada
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What should I make sure to see?

DO let Beerboy scare you about the market/prices.

It has been getting wild here, with resales selling for more than new homes. New single family homes are taking upwards of a year to build--IF the builder will take your deposit! Many are limiting the number of homes being built for a number of reasons and thus, the resale market is now being overpriced (and selling).

It is starting to look like the Vancouver market was--multiple offers over list, sales before the listing even hit MLS, etc...

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What should I make sure to see?

Thanks for all these great ideas and comments!!!! I now have some ideas of what to do while I'm there :) Is the real estate market really that bad? Average price for homes here (from apartments to actual houses) in the Greater Vancouver area is $500,000 and things move fast. I will probably try to see what open-houses there are on the Sunday I am in town so I can peruse the market.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What should I make sure to see?

The Olympic Hall of Fame is the World's largest Olympic museum.

World's largest cable suspended roof "reverse hyperbolic paraboloid" - Olympic Saddledome.

The richest show jumping contest in the world is at Spruce Meadows in south Calgary.

Second largest zoo in Canada - Calgary Zoo.

I know these have been mentioned, but I thought I'd throw in some cool facts too.

Mentioned in this post
Spruce Meadows
Spruce Meadows
1,048 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
The Calgary Zoo
The Calgary Zoo
3,610 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Canada
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What should I make sure to see?

bccanada: No, bad wouldn't describe the real estate market. It has just jumped significantly in the past few months. An example: a new listing in our area, priced at $393,900, was assessesed as of last July at $291,500. This house is on a corner lot, on the main road through the area--very busy location. That is a pretty big increase in 9 months, but compared to areas of greater Vanc. it is quite the deal...

On the other hand, it amuses me that I am not finding the Vancouver area prices that shocking any more! We have been monitoring as we are due to move there at some point; we have already turned down two transfers because of timing and our price differential is now becoming much more favourable.

Calgary is a good place to live, no doubt. Plenty of things to do, numerous job prospects, great skiing and recreation, friendly people. Best of luck with your move.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Vancouver
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What should I make sure to see?

Thank you for all your suggestions! I had a great time during my visit to Calgary and took in almost all of the places that were suggested. A couple days after I came home I found out that I was accepted to the University and am now looking at various sites for a place to rent that will also accept my cats. This will be a short term fix until I learn more about the city and where I want to buy. This is a great site and your comments were definitely a help :)

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What should I make sure to see?

Congratulations bc!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What should I make sure to see?

I had a problem finding a place that would rent to me with my dog when I moved here from Vancouver.

When you arrive, see if you can find a place to rent that is someones condo, most condo buildings allow small pets I found.

I lived downtown Vancouver and found I had to buy downtown here for it not to be too quiet for me here.

I bought a one bedroom in a decent building for $85000 five years ago, they are now selling for around $160000 to give you a price range, my sister does real estate and knows the market inside out, so, we are planning on her expertise to find a two bedroom when we move next April.

I think she said she had a couple of decent buildings that she had some two bedroom, 1.5 baths in that were just under $200,000.

Just to give you a heads up to costs on downtown. I have no idea what it costs for a house outside of downtown though.

Good luck and enjoy, Calgary is an amazing city with a big city feel where it counts I find.

Hope you get here during the Flames ride we are sure to go on, it is quite the experience.

Mairi Lee

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada