We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping and Restaurants with a bit of something else...

Ireland
Level Contributor
193 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping and Restaurants with a bit of something else...

Hi there

On our second visit to Canada, and starting in Calgary. We are staying in the Westin Calgary and were wondering where is the nearest Blacks photo shop and nearest shopping centre. Is it far from the main shopping area. Where, in close vicinity to the hotel, are good places to eat, not overly expensive. Enjoyed Jack Astors in Toronto and was looking forward to the fantastic chocolate cake but have heard bad reviews on this forum. Also any other suggestions for must see and do's bearing in mind we are only there for two days.

Tripadvisor really helped with our last visit to Canada so hopefully this time we will be as lucky.

Cheers!!!!!

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping and Restaurants with a bit of something else...

There is a branch of Black's in a building called Toronto-Dominion Square, which is occupies the block between 2nd and 3rd Streets and between 7th and 8th Avenues SW. That is three blocks due south of the Westin.

There is another branch of Black's in Calgary Eaton Centre, which ironically is the block immediately to the west of Toronto-Dominion Square.

If you walk three blocks north of the Westin, you come to the Eau Claire Market complex, where there are a number of restaurants. I'm quite fond of Joey Tomato's, which has an eclectic menu. It calls itself a "Mediterranean Grill," so it has some Italian dishes, but it also has some with a Thai flare. Besides that, it serves a jolly good steak (although that's at the higher end of the price range).

Just beyond Eau Claire Market is the pleasant path along the Bow River. You can use the foot bridge to cross over to Prince's Island, which is a nice park.

People will think I have shares in the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology in Drumheller, because I rarely fail to mention it to prospective visitors to this area. Well, be that as it may, I believe it is the one really world class thing (besides the Rocky Mountains) that this area has to offer. The dinosaur skeletons are amazing, but there is more to the museum than just the dinosaur skeletons. For example, there is a model of the ocean that used to exist in place of the Burgess Shale formation. Later, when you're in the Rockies, you'll pass close to the Burgess Shale, which is a rock formation near the hamlet of Field in Yoho National Park. So, in my opinion, a visit to the Tyrrell makes a subsequent visit to the Rockies more meaningful. If you do decide to visit the Tyrrell, assume it will be a day trip. It takes a couple of hours to drive to Drumheller, one-way. But it's really worth it, in my opinion.

My website includes a suggested walking itinerary of downtown Calgary. By coincidence, it starts in Toronto-Dominion Square, one of the buildings in which Black's is located. I'll give you the URL, but may have to split it into two or three lines so it fits in this post:

http://groups.msn.com/

CalgaryandCanadianRockiesTravelTips/

walkingtourofcalgary.msnw

Hope that helps.