We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must see Calgary

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Must see Calgary

Am planning a trip to Canada and spending around 2 days in Calgary during August 2011. What are the must see places/sightseeing/landmarks/things to do etc? We are a couple in 20's/30's.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,841 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must see Calgary

Shreevo9,

If you are wondering why you do not get many responses to your posts on various forums, all posing the same question for that particular region, it is for the following reasons:

1. Your question, the exact same one in each case, is too broad, and

2. You have demonstrated no attempt to help yourself by doing some basic research for each region.

The volunteers who provide advice to others on these forums should not be expected to plan your trip for you. Some basic research by yourself would have given you the answers to your question from where you could then post more detailed requests for information which others, as already indicated on one forum, would be very willing to assist you with.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must see Calgary

*waves at Frommy*

I'm afraid Frommy's comments are spot on. However, you will find some information to help you get started in the TripAdvisor Traveller Articles for Calgary, part of the Calgary Travel Guide on TA. These are articles are written, and compiled from forum postings, by TA members like you and me.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154913-s1/Calgary:Al…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must see Calgary

:-) *Smiles* & ~~Waves~~ to FROMMY & COUNTRY-WIFE

Hi Shreevo9,

Welcome to the CALGARY TRAVEL FORUM.

Yes, I said the exact same thing when you wrote the identical Question in the TORONTO TRAVEL FORUM (and it was there that I discovered c/o Frommy... that you've done this across the Country).

Indeed, TripAdvisor is made up of a bunch of Volunteers who dearly love their Destinations... and want others to discover them. BUT as Volunteers none of us are paid to do this... so although we'll certainly give you a hand... we do expect you to do the "heavy lifting"... with TripAdvisor and some of the wonderful research material here at your fingertips along with the FORUMS you'll be able to plan a great "customized" holiday.

COUNTRY-WIFE has pointed out the TRAVELLER ARTICLES... a great resource... which you'll find in the various TRAVEL PAGES (buttons to the left of this screen) for CALGARY TOURISM and the TRAVEL GUIDE. Along with the TOP QUESTIONS ABOUT CALGARY (Box to the right of this screen)... These are consistent across TA... every Destination having these resource tools at your disposal.

So if you are willing to put in the time, we promise you that you'll end up with an awesome Vacation... and even save some money in the long run (and not get caught in the obvious local tourist traps etc)... or find yourself herded from spot-to-spot by a Travel Agent working from an office abroad who knows little of nothing of Canada (and consequently isn't aware for example, that we aren't a country about cities as Destinations... so much as we are about the Journey between them "that is the real Destination").

As I said in the TORONTO FORUM... We look forward to your more detailed Questions that fit the "vision" of what you'd like out of this vacation.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 11:00 am, December 16, 2010
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Must see Calgary

Eating wise, you can check out the Old Spaghetti Factory. I personally recommend it and it's a big hit amongst Calgarians.

There's a lot of beautiful things to see and do in Calgary - check out Prince Island Park in downtown Calgary, the Calgary Zoo, Fort Calgary, the Calgary Tower, checking out local shops along 17th Ave/Kensington, shopping at Calgary's ever popular mall Chinook Centre which is accessible by LRT from downtown if you're staying in downtown, and more!

Are you considering visiting Banff? It's an absolute must as well

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must see Calgary

I suggest that Calgary is a beautiful city... but that for real scenery and the true Canadian icon would be next door near canmore or banff.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must see Calgary

"Eating wise, you can check out the Old Spaghetti Factory. I personally recommend it and it's a big hit amongst Calgarians"

Wow... I dont know what to say.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Must see Calgary

Well amongst everyone I know in Calgary including myself, they always make reservations at the Old Spaghetti Factory for a birthday dinner, an outing, or a co-worker lunch outing so maybe that's why my opinion may be biased :)

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,166 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must see Calgary

Well, it suits the bill if you want "cheap and cheerful", especially for families. I wouldn't recommend it (or any other chain restaurant) for "cuisine" though.

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must see Calgary

I'm with you Cubafan......" Old spaghetti factory" ?? really??

sort of a couple notches below Olive Garden.

nice enuf place, just please do not base an opinion of what the city has to offer on this place.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must see Calgary

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I too would not recommend the Old Spaghetti Factory.....its okay, but nothing spectacular. Depending on what type of food the OP prefers as far as cuisine and cost would help because then the TAs could probably provide better dining advice......

I agree that a trip out to the mountains is a must. Banff and Canmore can easily be done in a day trip, and the rockies are spectacular and must be seen up close and in person to really appreciate them IMHO. Plus, the upper hot springs are worth a visit if you have never been . www.pleiadesmassage.com/banff/index.html

You could also consider taking a day trip out to Drumheller, if you are interested in dinosuars and the badlands, the Royal Tyrell Museum is pretty interesting. http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/

Edited: 5:26 pm, January 11, 2011