We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel itinerary

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milton Keynes
9 posts
Save Topic
Travel itinerary

My wife and I are attending a wedding near Calgary in July 2011 but would also like to arrange a sightseeing trip after this event.

We particularly want to start in Calgary go to Banff , Jasper and then Vancouver Island. Could anybody suggest an itinerary/route taking in the sights on the way with approx travel times and distances and any recommended hotels.

Thanking you in advance

Gerald

Edited: 2:37 pm, September 02, 2010
Calgary
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel itinerary

How long did you have in mind?

Calgary-Banff-Jasper is very popular route.

The timing I think would similar to a trip from home ( MK ) to Birmingham, then to Bristol , back thru London to get home.

and FYI, the continuation to Vancouver Island would be similar to continuing from London to Milan Italy.

Milton Keynes
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel itinerary

Thanks your prompt reply. Trip to last approx 10 days

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel itinerary

Sounds just about right.

were you thinking of flying or driving over to Vancouver Island?

was there something in particular that you're interested in on the island?

georgeous area, that's where my family and I went for vacation this ( + Vancouver )

calgary
Level Contributor
4,057 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel itinerary

With only 10 days to work with I think you need to save Vancouver Island for another trip and concentrate on the Banff/Jasper area.

calgary
Level Contributor
4,057 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel itinerary

Sorry for second post, I tried to edit my original one but it would let me.

If you really must see the Island, I would suggest flying there from Calgary and then booking your flight home out of Vancouver. To drive to Vancouver Island from Calgary and back again, would take up 4 of your 10 days. You could drive there and then fly home from Vancouver, saving a couple of days.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,103 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel itinerary

With 10 days from Calgary, I would look at a loop that includes Jasper, Banff, down through the east Kootenay area around Cranbrook, come back through Crows Nest Pass (highway 3) and up to Drumheller and back to Calgary for the flight home. That would include a fantastic range of topography, history, nature and scenery that is doable in the time you have available.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel itinerary

I agree with what the TA's are saying here, if you are going to go to the Island you should really consider flying as you will spend alot of time driving.

Either that or visit Vancouver/Vancouver Island on separate trip, this is what I would suggest.

10 days is really not a whole lot of time, and you could easily spend that time exploring Alberta,

You could also easily spend that same amount of time in the Vancouver area and on the Island.

Both places are beaurtiful and have alot to offer, so I would suggest separate trips so that you can take your time visiting each place. A holiday isn't much fun when you are on a super tight schedule and driving all the time IMHO.

Edited: 7:30 pm, September 02, 2010
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel itinerary

Welcome to TripAdvisor!

Great responses so far, which means there's not a lot for me to add at the moment.

Just in case you're not aware, the Calgary Stampede takes place in July; the dates are July 8-17. If your dates overlap, you may want to plan to attend. Also, be aware that hotel prices and occupancy rates tend to spike during Stampede Week; you may need to reserve well in advance.

For more on the Stampede, see "Calgary Stampede: First-time Visitors":

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154913-c10714/Calgar…

This TripAdvisor Traveller Article was written, and compiled from forum postings, by TA members like you and me.

Edited: 8:57 pm, September 02, 2010
Milton Keynes
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel itinerary

Many thanks to the people who took the time and the trouble to reply to my original question. It does seem from the answers that 10 days is not really enough for the Calgary to Vancouver (and island).

I may be able to extend this to 21 days (less 2 days flying out and back) could somebody suggest a route and possible time scale taking in the sights along the way to do the drive from Calgary to Vancouver via Banff and Jasper and what would the must see sights be?. I would like to leave a few days at the end to spend in Vancouver Island

Any hotel recommendations would also be helpful and on this subject is it adviseable to book in advance or would there be availability as you go remembering we are going in July

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,103 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel itinerary

Sorry Gerald, most of us volunteers here love answering people's questions, but tend to shy away from extensive, detailed holiday planning. There really is SO much to see and do, and there is already much information here in TA (have you discovered the traveler articles yet? Here's one that should be useful to you:

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154922-c120076/Britis… ) that we tend not to try and guess what sort of holiday people want. Everyone wants something different, and TA is all about the independent traveler. For a detailed itinerary, try your local travel agent.

Once you have mapped out your broad itinerary (even if its a bit of a mess) then we have something to work with, and you will get lots of advice (some of it conflicting!) that will help you to refine your plan.

Holiday planning can be overwhelming, and all of us here enjoy helping tourists sort it out, but we do tend to stop short of doing it for you. :>

Happy planning.