We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff guided tours

Raleigh,NC
1 post
Save Topic
Banff guided tours

Hi,

I would like to do a 1-day guided hiking tour at Banff the end of October, I came across several tours in discoverbanff.com. I would like to take the best one, any suggestions/recommendations??

Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banff guided tours

Hi enchantedtraveller,

I have not gone on a guided hiking tour or used a professional hiking guide.

I looked at the discoverbanff.com web site and called the first company that came up on the page about Camping & Backpacking Tours. That happened to be Adventure Tours by Blue Moose. It had the advantage of a Calgary phone number, which meant that it was a free local call for me.

The woman who answered the phone said that her own company had shut down for the winter around the middle of September. She said that there were some guides who continued working later into the season. She recommended that you look for a mountain guide on the web site of Association of Canadian Mountain Guides.

http://www.acmg.ca/

Be aware that the weather could throw almost anything at you at the end of October. You could have crisp, clear days or you could have snowfalls deep enough to require snow shoes.

I think you'll need to play things by ear. Go to the tourist information office on Banff Avenue in Banff townsite, and ask their advice about which trails, if any, are in good condition for hiking. Alternatively, follow the advice of a professional hiking guide knows the area and current conditions on the trails.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff Avenue
Banff Avenue
1,086 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada