We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time of year to visit Canadian Rockies

PA
Level Contributor
53 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
best time of year to visit Canadian Rockies

We're planning a trip to Canadian Rockies for our next vacation for ~ 12 days. We'd like to hit the National Parks and mostly hike (we're not really skiers). What would be the best time of year for such a trip. We probably won't camp but will stay in lodges. I would like to go when it won't be too crowded with tourist, but when there won't be any issue with road closures due to snow. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time of year to visit Canadian Rockies

Hello PAtraveler,

My two favourite times to achieve what you what to achieve are the second half of June and the month of September.

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
307 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best time of year to visit Canadian Rockies

I second Judy's advice, especially about September. It's my favorite month in the Rockies. July and August are crawling with tourists, but things quiet down in September.

Alberta
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best time of year to visit Canadian Rockies

Hi, Patraveler

Thats sounds like a ton of fun!!

I agree with Judy, Although the bears can be worse in September than July. If you do want to come in July I would recommend going to Kananaskis Country as it is not as busy and is just a beautiful. Also there is tons of hiking and things to do.

I would suggest Kananaskis any way also because it is closer to Calgary. There are some lodges in K Country. I would recommend camping to as there are tons of awesome campgrounds. The one I would most recommend is Mount Kidd RV Park. It is rustic but there is a full service store, flush toilets and showers. You must book early if you stay there. Their web site tells you when!!

Also are you travelling with children?

Here are some Kananaskis web sites. If you do come in July go to Kananaskis as it is still quiet and the bears are not as bad. If you come want to go to Banff, and Lake Louise area then come at the time Judy and Chucklebelly said.

www.kananaskisvalley.com

www.mountkiddrvpark.com

More in next post...

Alberta
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best time of year to visit Canadian Rockies

Hi, Again

If you want to go to Banff then go in June or September. And don't let me scare you the bears are not bad, if there are bear problems the park wardens will close trails and there are lots of notices all over.

If you want to go to Banff I would stay in Canmore. As I was talking about in the last post Kananaskis is a great place. It is only about 45 minutes from Canmore on good highways. It is also only about 1 and a half from Calgary.

Also are you driving or flying? If you do fly here I would rent a car.

Canmore is about 20 minutes from Banff and has much cheaper hotels. There is tons to do around Canmore and Banff but I will let other people recommend stuff to do!!

Good Luck!!

Sincerely, Barkley

Alberta
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best time of year to visit Canadian Rockies

Oh, I forgot, do you need an Itinery?

BTD

PA
Level Contributor
53 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best time of year to visit Canadian Rockies

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We most likely will opt for September. I was concerned that it might be getting too cold by then and hiking options would be limited. It sounds like September will be okay though. We will be flying into Calgary then renting car. Although we LOve camping, since we're flying there I don't think we will. We will probably try to find some nice off- the beaten path lodge-like accomodations.

Dog- Thanks for all the input - If you'd like to share an itinerary sure! I'm just getting started on planning this trip. We're young (young 30's) and active - no kids. I was thinking maybe a few nights each in Banff, Jasper and Yoho. We plan to do some good day hikes and a good rafting trip too.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best time of year to visit Canadian Rockies

>>>>>>We will probably try to find some nice off- the beaten path lodge-like accomodations.<<<<<<

If you can afford it, Lake O'Hara Lodge in Yoho National Park is a magical place. The hiking that's available from there is stupendous. You're not allowed to drive your own vehicle there. You have to leave your vehicle in a parking lot off the TransCanada Highway and catch a bus to the lodge.

Another place at which I have not stayed, but which is reputed to be excellent, is Mount Engadine Lodge. It's south of Canmore (and hence SE of Banff), off the Smith-Dorrien Trail in Kananaskis Country. The most recent report of it that I've received was from a friend who loves Lake O'Hara Lodge. The price of Lake O'Hara Lodge finally got to him, and he decided to try Mount Engadine Lodge. He says he's glad he did.

>>>>>>and a good rafting trip too<<<<<<

Much as I love September in the mountains, it's not the best month for rafting, as the rivers tend to be low by then. The rivers are at their fullest early in the summer, and they taper off as the season progresses.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best time of year to visit Canadian Rockies

Another suggestion would be Waterton Lakes National Park. It is about a two hour drive south of Calgary. The park is renowned for its hiking, it's the reason most people go there, actually. The townsite is really, really quiet when compared to Canmore and Banff. There are lots of good hotels and restaurants, too. I find it so much more relaxing than Banff.

The Crypt Lake Trail in Waterton has been rated the #1 hike in Canada by many magazines and on many occasions. If you have time to do this one (you will need 6 - 8 hours) I highly recommend it.

Trip Advisor has info on all hotels in Waterton, as well as several of the hikes there.

SYdney, Australia
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: best time of year to visit Canadian Rockies

i just went over in august, and i think you could be interested in the tour we did... the website is

www.moosenetwork.com.au

they offer tours which take you all through the rockies, and the added bonus is that they offer a hop on hop off idea... so you can spend as long as you like whereever you like... they pretty much take you thought he rockies and stop at all these fantasitc places, where you can hike... swim, be lazy, and it's all rther inexpensive, and a lot of fun!

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best time of year to visit Canadian Rockies

Hello allycats3,

When I try the URL you provided it doesn't work for me.

However, this one does:

www.moosenetwork.com