We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pancake Breakfasts

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pancake Breakfasts

i've heard that during stampede there are pancake breakfasts? How exactly does this work and does it occur pre stampede? thanks

Alberta
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pancake Breakfasts

Hi Travel hound,

Yes, there are many pancake breakfasts all around the city during those 10 days. Believe me you'll be sick of pancakes by the end of Stampede. I don't believe there are any before Stampede.

Most that are downtown are invitation only. Outside of downtown should be free. I've never seen one that wasn't.

During Stampede our local newspaper will have a listing of where they are all located in the city. You can pretty much just drive around and it won't take long to find one.

Have you been to Calgary during the Stampede before? I've lived in Calgary most of my life and I still look forward to it. Lots of fun.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pancake Breakfasts

Lovethebeach5, the concept of invitation-only breakfasts is news to me. Yes, there are some breakfasts that take place in private buildings, in tents, and in roped-off areas hat are invitation-only. However, there are others that take place on the open sidewalk. In that case anyone can join the line. It always has seemed to me that, if I had wanted to do so, I could have had a free breakfast downtown on just about every weekday morning of Stampede. However, as you say, a person can take only so many pancakes. After one or two Stampede breakfasts, I am pancaked out, so to speak.

JMB
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pancake Breakfasts

It's true that there are private pancake breakfasts during Stampede, but there will always be a sign "Private Function". They will not be the kind of thing that you can just stroll up to.

I think the biggest public pancake breakfast is at Chinook Centre, on MacLeod Trail South. I believe it is on the first Saturday of Stampede. A very big weekday breakfast is the Premier's Stampede Breakfast, at the MacDougall Centre, which is on 6th Ave and 6th or 7th St downtown.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pancake Breakfasts

Check the newspaper. My company does an invitation-only thing, we're not downtown, and we've had people wander over only to be asked to leave.

Mall parking lots are safe.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pancake Breakfasts

Every morning during Stampede you can go to Rope Square on Olympic Plaza (in front of City Hall) for a free Pancake breakfast.

stampede-downtownattractions.com/rope_square…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pancake Breakfasts

Yes, do check the newspaper for sure! They will have a list of all the ones that are happening all over the city. If they are not roped off, you are more than welcome to go right up and get your breaky!

The YMCA ( a great facility in the Eau Claire part of downtown) has a great Pancake breakfast on one of the days of Stampede. They have a lot of fun and its in a very open/nice area as well.

Have a great time!

Calgary
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pancake Breakfasts

Don't forget the stampede lunches. You could almost eat all meals for free during stampede. It just takes some creative planning.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,089 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pancake Breakfasts

Aside from Rope Square (stampede-downtownattractions.com/chuck_brkfs…), there's also the breakfasts done by the Stampede Caravan at various malls; I think that they'remuch better if you're dragging kids with you, since you don't go as far, and they're less busy. (www.stampedecaravan.com/break_sched.html)

For everything else free & edible (and there's lots!) check the Stampede program and the newspaper. Some malls do hotdogs (or hamburgers or chili or beef on a bun) as a free lunch/dinner during Stampede week.

I'm not aware of free pancake breakfasts before Stampede.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
377 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pancake Breakfasts

Lovethebeach5 - you lived here "most of your life" and don't know the basics of Stampede breakfasts? How old are you, 5?

travel hound, the vast majority of them are free, open to the public and well advertised. If you happen across one, that doesn't have tons of people already, odds are good that it's a private function... though as others mentioned, most of these are very well marked as such.

They start as early as two weeks before Stampede starts, but they tend to be over the weekend that Stampede is. You can eat quite well for free while these are on. Just look for ones with different food so that you don't get "pancaked out".