We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary Stampede Rodeo

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Calgary Stampede Rodeo

Hi there,

We arrive in Calgary on 5th July and are planning to see some of the parade on the 6th and look around Calgary that afternoon. We have tickets for the chuckwagon races on Sat 7th July. I understand that the chuckwagon tickets will allow us entry to the showground for that day (hopefully).

Can anyone help advise whether I need to buy grandstand rodeo tickets or will we be able to see any rodeo at all from the grounds when we are there in the afternoon?

Sunday will be our last day in Calgary before collecting a hire car and heading off to Banff/Jasper/Vancouver. I'm not sure if we should spend another day at the stampede on Sunday or not.

Thanks for any advice.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary Stampede Rodeo

Hi TicketyBoo,

Yes, your chuckwagon tickets will give you admission to Stampede Park.

No, you will not be able to see rodeo events just by walking around Stampede Park. In order to see rodeo events, you need to buy tickets.

Rodeo events always are in the afternoon. You have the choice seeing rodeo events on the Friday afternoon, after the Stampede Parade, or on the Saturday afternoon, before the chuckwagon races.

My own feeling is that I would not spend an extra day taking in the Stampede. I think the amount of time you have planned for it is enough.

The following TripAdvisor pages would be helpful to you:

Inside Calgary : Stampede : Firsts-time Visitors:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154913-c10714/Calgar…

Inside Calgary : Stampede : Pancake Breakfasts and More:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154913-c10204/Calgar…

Calgary accommodation gets booked up during Stampede. If you have not already booked your lodgings, I suggest you do so soon. The page entitled Inside Calgary : Hotel Districts will help you to find a hotel that is conveniently located with respect to Stampede Park:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154913-c15569/Calgar…

Calgary is at a high elevation and tends to cool off at night, even after a warm, sunny day. When you set out in the morning, you should always take a jacket of some sort with you, just in case. This is all the more essential when you set out for the chuckwagon races. It may be warm when you head out to the "chucks," but it may be cool by the time you return late at night. Besides that, the seating is outdoors.

I suggest you have a look around at most of the Inside Calgary pages here at TripAdvisor:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154913-s1/Calgary:Al…

Most people visit the Canadian Rockies before or after the Calgary Stampede. If that's true of you, I highly recommend that you read Inside Banff National Park. That section is loaded with information about the Canadian Rockies and not just about Banff National Park:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-s1/Banff-Nati…

Mountain weather is very fickle, so pay particular attention to the Inside Banff National Park : Clothing page:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-c13644/Banff-…

Hope that helps.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
377 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary Stampede Rodeo

I have to disagree with Judy IF you have kids with you. If that is the case, you definately will need more than one day on the grounds, as the rodeo/chucks will take up an entire afternoon/evening, leaving very little time to see the multitude of other attractions (we Calgarians tend to forget that for first timers at the Stampede, it is too much to take in over 1 day)

Do check out the grounds after the Parade... make sure to stop at a few of the Stampede breakfasts along the way. (suggest walking down 8th ave towards the grounds.... lots of entertainment and food.

Hope you enjoy yourself. 16 years in this city, and I still love Stampede week.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary Stampede Rodeo

Hi there

Thank you Judy and Shane for all the information you have given - its all very useful.

I've been reading as much as possible while planning this trip, and Judy you have provided additional links which are very helpful. Many thanks again for taking time to help out. This will be our first visit to Canada and we are really looking forward to visiting your country.

Ticketyboo.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calgary Stampede Rodeo

ShaneYYC has made some valid comments, Ticketyboo.

You have not stated how long your total trip will be.

You also have not stated how interested you are in agricultural fairs and amusement parks.

Those factors will influence how much time you’ll enjoy spending in Calgary.

I think it would take a MINIMUM of 19 days to fly from the UK to Calgary, take in the Stampede and some of the rest of Calgary, do justice to the drive through the Rockies, take in Vancouver, and fly home to the UK. The minimum amount of time you need to accomplish each of these components, and have quality time while you’re doing it, is as follows (in my opinion):

1 day – Fly from UK to Calgary

1 day – Stampede Parade in the morning, rodeo events in the afternoon

1 day – Wander around Stampede Park all day, see chuckwagon races in the evening

1 day – Wander around downtown Calgary

1 day – From your Calgary base, do a day trip to the Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller

6 days – Drive from Calgary through the Rockies

1 day – Drive from the Rockies to the Okanagan Valley

1 day – Explore Okanagan Valley

1 day – Drive from Okanagan Valley to Vancouver

3 days – Explore Vancouver

2 days – Fly from Vancouver to UK (I list this as 2 days because you usually depart from Vancouver in the late afternoon / early evening, and reach the UK around noon the next day)

-----------------------------------------------------------

19 days – total

-----------------------------------------------------------

It would be even more ideal to have MORE time, but that really is about the least amount of time you need to take in the Stampede and provide adequate coverage of the rest of your route.

If you have less than 19 days, you’re going to have to decide which of the above mentioned components to abbreviate or sacrifice altogether.

You can look at the sample itineraries on the Inside Banff National Park : Itineraries page to get some ideas.

NOTE: In the above mentioned itinerary I had the hypothetical traveler going through the Okanagan Valley to Vancouver. Another very scenic route is to go to Vancouver via Whistler.

Hope that helps.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calgary Stampede Rodeo

Thanks again, Judy for further advice.

We have looked at various itineraries and have already planned a 19 day trip as follows :

1 - Arrive Calgary late evening from UK.

2 - Calgary parade and look around city

3 - Stampede & evening chuckwagons show

4 - Calgary - Questionable at the moment (either more stampede at the Rodeo hence my original question, or Drumbeller and Badlands trip)

5 - Canmore/Banff

6 - Visit Lake Louise from Canmore

7 - Drive to Jasper (Icefields etc)

8 - Jasper etc

9 - Mount Robson stay at Kamloops

10 - Hells gate, Harrison Hot Springs, stay at Langley (stop over only)

11 - Ferry to Victoria

12 - Victoria / gardens / coast etc

13 - Nanaimo ferry and sea to sky highway to Whistler

14 - Whistler hiking etc & R&R

15 - Drive to Vancouver / Capilano bridge etc

16-18 Vancouver etc

19 - Depart Vancouver evening flight.

We are keen to see as much as possible without rushing too much. We are travelling with teenage girls (17 and 14) who are more interested in shopping than agriculture but are still keen to experience the stampede.

It would be better to have had longer, but this is really the max time we can take off work.

Thanks for the advice.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calgary Stampede Rodeo

TicketyBoo, your itinerary gets my rare If-It-Ain't-Broke-Don't-Fix-It stamp of approval.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calgary Stampede Rodeo

Thanks,

We have been following various threads and advice from the forum pages for many weeks whilst compiling our plans.

Thanks to all have shared their knowledge and expertise. We appreciate the time given to reply. Hopefully our trip will cover the essential parts in the limited time available.

8. Re: Calgary Stampede Rodeo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, August 24, 2009