We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help make it magical

Which Lake Louise hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
262 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Help make it magical

We are considering staying at the Fairmonts in Jasper, Banff, Lake Louise over a 6-7 day period. So expensive!!! Are there any other beautiful quaint hotels/lodges that are lake side that would knock my socks off? Lake Louise, Banff, Yoho or Jasper area? Seems that Lake louise is pretty central?

When is Fall foliage peak?

Hows the mosquitos in Sept/Oct?

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help make it magical

Mosquitoes will not bother you in September, especially not at the end of September.

Although mosquitoes are not a problem in October, that month has a couple of other limitations. Some side roads, tours and activities shut down between the beginning and the middle of October.

That said, October is a quiet month when you receive attentive service in hotels and restaurants.

I still think September is a good time to visit the area.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help make it magical

Mosquitoes will not bother you in September, especially not at the end of September.

Although mosquitoes are not a problem in October, that month has a couple of other limitations. Some side roads, tours and activities shut down between the beginning and the middle of October.

That said, October is a quiet month when you receive attentive service in hotels and restaurants.

I still think September is a good time to visit the area.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help make it magical

>>>>>>Are there any other beautiful quaint hotels/lodges that are lake side that would knock my socks off? Lake Louise, Banff, Yoho or Jasper area?<<<<<<

I provided an extensive respoonse in another thread that you started.

>>>>>>Seems that Lake louise is pretty central?<<<<<<

Yes, Lake Louise is central. It is an excellent base from which to see Banff National Park, Kootenay National Park, Yoho National Park and the southern reaches of Japser National Park.

However, Jasper townsite and the landmarks in that general vicinity (Mount Edith Cavell, Maligne Canyon, Maligne Lake, Whistlers Mountain, etc.) are too far to be visited from a base in Lake Louise.

If you confined your trip to Lake Louise, you'd be able to drive up part of the Icefields Parkway (Hwy #93) towards Jasper on one of your Lake Louise-based days. However, if you did justice to the scenic lookout points along the Icefields Parkway, you probably would not get as far as Jasper townsite during a day trip. You would be able to see gorgeous Peyto Lake, the Columbia Icefields and Sunwapta Falls, and you'd be able to do a handful of other walks and short hikes.

>>>>>>When is Fall foliage peak?<<<<<<

The aspens in Kananaskis Country and around Banff townsite peak around the middle of September. The golden colour of the larch trees in the Lake Louise area reaches its height around the end of September. Jasper is at a lower elevation than Lake Louise and Banff, so is just slightly warmer. Hence the peak of its fall colours is just a tad later -- around the beginning of October.

Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help make it magical

Hi!

You are lucky to able to go when the crowds are dying down.

The cabins at Jasper is the only Fairmont where the rooms are worth the price. Get a lake side chalet. Be sure to hike the "Bald Hills" trail. (see: my tread on hiking).

Equidistant from Banff and Lake Louise is Storm Mountain Lodge.

Individual log cabins each with a full bath and a fireplace ( a plus in Sept.). I have stayed at Moraine Lake, Banff Springs,Chateau Lake Louise, Tunnel Mountain Lodge, Rundelstone, Brewster Mountain Lodge and Jasper Park Lodge and this is the best. They have a web site.

Have a good trip,

Ed

edlangrall@aol.com

5. Re: Help make it magical

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 16, 2009