We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chateau Lake Louise to Calgary Airport: Departure Time

Which Lake Louise hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Chateau Lake Louise to Calgary Airport: Departure Time

Can someone please help me with a suggested departure time to leave the Chateau Lake Louise and drive to the Calgary Airport in order to make a 3:00 PM flight on the Saturday after Christmas? I want to make sure we leave Lake Louise in plenty of time to first turn in our rental car at Budget near the airport and then to allow for possible post-holiday security line issues. Thanks in advance for your help!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chateau Lake Louise to Calgary Airport: Departure Time

working backwards, in Calgary US Customs won't allow you in before 2 hrs before your flight so that would be 1pm. LL is 45 minutes from Banff and another 90 minutes to the airport which would make your departure no later than 10:45 am. Allowing extra time for traffic, weather, buying gas etc I'd plan to leave by 10 am for this drive.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,089 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chateau Lake Louise to Calgary Airport: Departure Time

For what it's worth, I agree with David's rough calculations: check the weather forecast and road report ( www.511.alberta.ca ) before going to bed the night before & again when you wake up the morning of your departure. If the forecast is good and the road conditions are good, leave by 10 a.m. If the forecast and/or road report is poor, leave 30-90 minutes earlier (possibly as early as 8:30), depending on how bad things are.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chateau Lake Louise to Calgary Airport: Departure Time

Absolutely! If the roads are bad, you don't want to be rushing!

4. Re: Chateau Lake Louise to Calgary Airport: Departure Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 14, 2014