We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Field versus Lake Louise

College Park...
Level Contributor
8 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Field versus Lake Louise

My fiance and I are making a trip through the Canadian Rockies for our honeymoon. We're planning on spending 2-3 night in the Banff/Canmore area, then 2-3 nights in the Lake Louise area, and then about 5 nights in Jasper.

So here's my question. I've found a nice rental home in Field, BC. It's about fifty dollars cheaper per night than anything I found in the Lake Louise area. Would I be a complete fool to stay in Field instead of Lake Louise, or will it be fine because I'll be driving to the nearby lakes anyway?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,648 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Field versus Lake Louise

No, you wouldn't be a fool, since you will be driving around to see things no matter where you stay. Field is a VERY smal hamlet with a population of about 200 people and only one restaurant. Field is also in a spectacular natural setting in Yoho National Park, so as long as you don't mind the idea of going elsewhere for meals (or maybe your accommodation has self-catering facilities?, in which case you might want to pick up groceries in Banff or Lake Louise).

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Field versus Lake Louise

field is very small. beautiful setting. hopefully you have a kitchen or buy a cooler and plan on staying home in the evenings for meals. it's a great area for hiking. lake louise is very small too and more expensive so as long as you plan on staying at home at night...save the money and stay in field. 2 nights would probably be enough.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,685 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Field versus Lake Louise

For your honeymoon, I would not trade Lake Louise for Field. If you are arriving in Calgary by plane, I would suggest something like:

3 nights Banff/Canmore

5 nights Jasper

2 nights Lake Louise

drive to Calgary for your flight out.

You're looking at $100 over 2 nights. Look to save a bit of money by finding more reasonably priced accommodation in Jasper and Banff, even better in Canmore. Probably sooner than later if you're coming this summer.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,648 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Field versus Lake Louise

Mufti - I'm not sure I would agree with as sweeping a statement as "I would not trade Lake Louise for Field" because "Lake Louise" in terms of hotels can just as easily mean in the village as up at the lake... in fact, it's *more* likely to mean in the village than up at the lake, since there are three hotels and a hostel in the village, vs. one at the lake (and another couple that are close to the lake). The village itself is not a particularly amazing setting (although it has its charms) - it's in the Bow Valley, with the river, train tracks, and two highways all running through the bottom of the valley as well. The more economical hotels in LL village - the Mountaineer and the LL Inn - are nothing particularly special; they just command higher rates than they would elsewhere because of the laws of supply and demand.

Field also has the train tracks and a highway sharing the valley with the village, but the valley is quite narrow, with steep and extremely imposing mountains on either side (this is a negative in winter, since the village gets so little direct sun) so I would give it the edge on setting, and LL the edge on amenities. LL also is more centrally located, but it's only 20 minutes from Field to LL. Of course, anyone looking for a good range of amenities in terms of dining, townsite strolling, museums, nightlife etc. would be best off in Banff!

Field is not for everyone, so I definitely recommend the OP check it out carefully. Perhaps some satellite and "streetview" viewing on Google maps would be a good idea, to really get a good idea of what's there. http://goo.gl/maps/igBH6

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,685 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Field versus Lake Louise

Hi krp ~

I offer only an opinion of what to consider for a honeymoon. The forums are richer for different points of view and they give the OP different things to keep in mind as they plan. I know you know that, so the first part of your comment is somewhat puzzling.

Erin ~

By all means take the advice that works the best for you. The Fairmont Chateau at Lake Louise may not be doable for any number of reasons, I don't know, but it would be a very special place for a couple of nights on a honeymoon, just one night actually. And I offer my comments for your consideration. Whatever you decide will be exceptional.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
16 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Field versus Lake Louise

Field is a fine location to spend a few night and perfect base for visiting nearby attractions at Yoho National Park or the Lake Louise area. It’s a quaint mountain town with several nice bed and breakfasts. Not only will you save $50/night but your accommodation will also likely be superior compared to Lake Louise’s higher priced options (except for luxurious Chateau Lake Louise…). The only drawback in Field would be the various noisy trains that roll by every day but the noise only last a few minutes for each train and it kind of blends in with the old railroad mountain pass fell to that place. Overall, Field is a good choice to spend a few days. Happy travels.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,648 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Field versus Lake Louise

I hope I didn't offend you, mufti - I wasn't trying to start any argument, just a friendly differing of opinions. The OP did not actually specify which LL property they were comparing Field to, but since the difference is only $50 (rather than $150 or $250 or more), I assumed (but perhaps incorrectly) that they were not considering the Chateau Lake Louise but one of the more moderately priced hotels. Other than the CLL or maybe the Post Hotel (also $$$), I'm not sure that any of the other LL hotels would be anything "special" for a honeymoon. So in that sense, I think Field is a valid comparison.

Erin M, (our OP) - I also assumed the question is in reference to a summer vacation - I guess because of the reference to "lakes" in your post, and it being a fairly typical summertime tour itinerary for the area. as well as summer being a popular time for a wedding.

Edited: 9:13 pm, February 17, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,685 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Field versus Lake Louise

No worries at all, krp. The comments about Field may very well provide the assurance that the OP needs to make the decision.

9. Re: Field versus Lake Louise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 19, 2014