We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 Glaciers Trail

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
40 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
6 Glaciers Trail

Never been to Lake Louise before and this looked like an interesting trail. Just had some questions. Where does the trail start and is there parking? Is the trail fairly easy, good views? How long does it take round trip? Do I need bear spray in this area? Any knowledge and advice is appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
5,419 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,792 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 Glaciers Trail

The trail starts at the Lake Louise lakeshore, and there is extensive parking nearby. Details regarding length and elevation gain are here, on Parks Canada's Banff National Park site: pc.gc.ca/eng/…UPPER LAKE LOUISE AREA

Views are outstanding, and I would rate it as a moderate hike, both because of the elevation gain, and the length. It is a busy trail, so the odds of a bear encounter are pretty low (but not non-existent - I have heard of people seeing bears while hiking there).

Mentioned in this post
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
5,419 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Banff National Park
Banff National Park
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 Glaciers Trail

If you don't hike much, or aren't use to walking up mountains - I would say the Plains of Six Glaciers is very achievable, but challenging. I would say it's a step above moderate for regular folks. If you are a hiker who spends time hiking in the mountains, it's moderate. For mere mortals, it's a challenge. :)

There are lots of people on these trails, so less chance of a bear encounter as mentioned. Take your time, take extra layers for changeable weather, pack lots of food and water and enjoy a wonderful day. The amount of time you will take is directly proportional to your fitness and the weather. Plan on taking 4-6 hours with lots of photo stops and plan on being tired afterwards.

Also worth mentioning, Discover Banff Tours does guided walks of Plains of Six Glaciers every Wednesday and Friday. You can learn a lot when you take a walk with a guide!

www.banfftours.com

Mentioned in this post
Discover Banff Tours
Discover Banff Tours
1,931 Reviews
Banff, Canada
3. Re: 6 Glaciers Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, October 16, 2012