We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mountain scenery

ireland
1 post
Save Topic
mountain scenery

i am a nature lover from ireland and landscape photography is one of my favourite hobbies.i am a big fan of bob ross,the painter and his tv shows have captivated me.i imagine that much of his work was of the rockeries and now i want to visit these places for real.i would like to know the best time to go to capture the best shots of snow-capped peaks,shimmering lakes,forests clothed in colours of the fall.is it possible to have all of these together?wildlife?any tips are much appreciated.can't wait to go.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mountain scenery

Hello bigbrownbear,

I think mid to late September would be the best time for you to visit the area. Although the timing of the autumn colours varies a bit from year to year, mid September usually is the peak time for the golden colours of the aspen (poplar) trees at the lower elevations in the mountains. Late September usually is the optimum time to see the larch trees turning golden at the higher elevations.

At that time of year, the lakes will not yet be frozen, and you'll see their amazing turquoise colour.

It's common for the high peaks to have had a dusting (ora few dustings) of snow by then.

Spotting wildlife is a hit and miss affair in the Canadian Rockies. You can see (or not see) wildlife at almost any time of year. However, wild animals are most active at dawn and dusk. Since sunrise and sunset happen at more reasonable times in the autumn than in the summer, you have a better chance of seeing animals.

Besides that, while the mountain resort towns still do a brisk trade in September, they are less crowded then than they are in July and August.

So basically the latter half of September can give you most of what you want and perhaps even all of what you want.

Please feel free to look at my website:

…msn.com/CalgaryandCanadianRockiesTravelTips

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mountain scenery

I agree with Judy that the best time for what you want would be the latter half of September. The drawbacks are that the temperatures are a bit cooler than in the summer, and most of the wildflowers won't be blooming any more.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mountain scenery

If you want to see Snow-capped Peaks, you should go in June. Sept is late after the summer. Not much snow on those peaks.

I like Lake Louise in late May, early June. Still can see melting ice on the lake. Simply the best!

If you want to see bears, you should go in late May. Go to remote motels like those near Columbia icefield. Everytime, I went there in May or June, I saw bears walk around looking for food. Bears gradually disappear when the summer comes closer and more tourists appear on the roads. Still, in July, August, you have a good chance to see them near Jasper. No Chance near banff.

Sept is the best for colors. If you want to see forests clothed with colors, go eastern canada for Maple leaves. There are colors in the Rockies but no way near the glorious fall in Eastern Canada.