We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Louise / Banff: weather conditions now.

Which Lake Louise hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
7 posts
Save Topic
Lake Louise / Banff: weather conditions now.

I can see webcams on Sunshine and Lake Louise resorts and the snow looks amazing.

What are the conditions in Banff village and Lake Louise village. Is there snow on roofs, trees and around which makes both towns look pretty: I will be there soon and I am concerned that with high temperature according to the weather forecast there will be no snow. How meuch snow is there in Lake Louise and Banff town? Maybe someone up there can tell me.

Thanks

England, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Louise / Banff: weather conditions now.

For a eagle eye view of Banff go to http://www.banffgondola.com/webcam.asp. This is a view of Banff from the platform at the top of the gondola. The current time is shown at the bottom of the screen (Don't forget to allow for the time difference).

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Louise / Banff: weather conditions now.

You'll only see snow on roofs and trees immediately after a snowfall. It falls off or melts in the sunshine. But it stays on the ground much longer.

If you're coming to ski, don't worry about the temps. We get spikes in temperature all winter long, and there's enough snow in the mountains that there's still plenty for skiing.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Louise / Banff: weather conditions now.

Lake Louise usually gets several metres of snow each year. Some will melt or sublimate during the winter, but it will be snowy for a few more months. I drove through the area on the weekend; there was a bit of snow around Banff, but a lot more around Lake Louise and toward Field. I'm not sure about the townsites themselves, but west of Lake Louise, there were plenty of snowy trees and rooftops (with some huge icicles). I'd expect that the Lake Louise townsite would be similar, but maybe not Banff, unless they get more snow before you arrive.

NYC
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Louise / Banff: weather conditions now.

Thank you for all your reports. I was getting worried coz the temps are really high right now.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Louise / Banff: weather conditions now.

You're welcome. BTW, I wouldn't put too much faith in the weather forecasts--the mountain weather can be very localized and may change quickly.

NYC
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Louise / Banff: weather conditions now.

Thanks much.

What you are saying is interesting since I find variation between the Sunshine website forecasts Canada Environment meteo for Banff.

Do such spikes in temp happens often?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Louise / Banff: weather conditions now.

The mountains have quite an effect on the weather. Sunshine Village, while not far from the Banff townsite, is situated on the continental divide (a higher elevation), so the temperature should generally be a few degrees cooler there. Being in that location, it also tends to recieve a lot more snow than the Banff townsite. (The ski hill has no snowmaking equipment and usually stays open until mid-May, when it's starting to look like spring in the valleys.) I've experienced a number of other crazy weather events, like a 15-minute downpour in the middle of an otherwise sunny summer day.

If you're interested, this site does a good job of explaining some mountain weather phenomena:

http://www.mountainnature.com/Climate/

Overall, temperatures this winter have been above normal and snowfall has been below normal. Temperature spikes are fairly common, especially in the areas just east of the Rockies. See the section on chinook winds on the above website, or on wikipedia for a good explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind

NYC
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Louise / Banff: weather conditions now.

According to the weathernetwork.com, it looks that it is now cooler in Lake Louise and that it snows.

Is anybody there now?