We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help on our first trip to rocky! (LL, Banff, & Jasper)

philadelphia
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Need help on our first trip to rocky! (LL, Banff, & Jasper)

My husband and I are travelling to calgary on August 1 to spend 5 days in the area and we want to visit LL, Banff, and Jasper. What is the best itinerary? (Should we go to Jasper first and drive down to Banff, or do it the other way around?) How long should we stay in each place?

I was told that I should skip Jasper area and focus on LL and Banff, since I only have 5 days to spend. What should I do?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Need help on our first trip to rocky! (LL, Banff, & Jasper)

"I had visions of narrow, winding, dirt roads covered in ice."

I can't think of anywhere in Alberta or BC which would meet that description in September :-)

Snow in the mountains in September is a possibility. But it won't last for long if it does fall.

Lake Macquarie
9 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Need help on our first trip to rocky! (LL, Banff, & Jasper)

Oh....thanks Country Wife.

I guess I thought it would look like the photos in the brochures.

They must be taken in winter.

Never mind, it will still be beautiful.

I am really looking forward to heading to such a lovely part of the world.

Cheers.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,175 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Need help on our first trip to rocky! (LL, Banff, & Jasper)

I don't know what they are showing in the brochures (sounds like either one of the old fire roads (most of which are now hiking trails) or a logging road in winter.... none of those in the national parks), but you can view the Icefields Parkway (hwy 93) and many other roads in the area by using the "streetview" function at www.maps.google.com - drag the little orange man in the top left corner to any spot on the highway, and turn him around for 360 degree views.... you'll see that it's an excellent paved, two lane highway, with a wide shoulder lane on each side. The speed limit is 90 km/hr for most of it, other than a short winding section near the Icefields, which is 50 km/hr. Highway 1, the Trans-Canada highway through Banff National Park, and highway 16 , the Trans-Canada/Yellowhead highway through Jasper National Park, are both major trucking routes.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Need help on our first trip to rocky! (LL, Banff, & Jasper)

It sounds like you've got some great suggestions here, but I couldn't disagree more with a blanket statement like this one:

>While Yoho NP has a few sights, there is not a lot to see there<

For "accessible wilderness" and drive by sightseeing, Yoho is incredible. It would be sad for you to miss 2 of Yoho's *star* attractions: you won't want to miss the incredible drive up to Takakkaw Falls and to enjoy a few hours at Emerald Lake is pure magic. Some of the best sights of Yoho are easily accessible by car and are must-see's. Enjoy.

banffakelouise

NJ
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Need help on our first trip to rocky! (LL, Banff, & Jasper)

depending on what you plan on doing with your days will probably detemine your itinerary. These areas are hikers Nervana.

Having visted a few times, and PLEASE no one take offense. I only went to Radium Hot Springs because it was raining one day, having seen it,

Radium Hot Springs should be very low on a list of priorities for the area unless you want to visit and enjoy the springs for the day, and there are other places to do that .... It kind of reminded me of Niagra Falls (either side of the river!) or Gatlinburg, TN

Lake Louise has a lot to offer for the non heavy duty hiker. Which includes canoeing on Lake Louise. Some relatively easy walks and hikes are in this area and around Banff which is relatively speaking in the backyard of banff proper.

Johnston Canyon would be a must for an easy and fascinating hike, stretching your legs on a driving trip.

Ice Fields center the same, and despite the touristy schtick of the glacier tours in the bus, i recommend them to everyone as, lets face it, it is really neat! (i like the guided hike on the glacier better though!)

In Jasper you have hiking and lake activities, raft the athabasca river, you can rent a boat on pyramid lake....

however if you don't have your resservations now, they might be hard to come by - this area is popular for a reason - it is all quite magnificent.

16. Re: Need help on our first trip to rocky! (LL, Banff, & Jasper)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 15, 2011