We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseback Plain of Six versus Lk Agnes

Which Lake Louise hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
284 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Horseback Plain of Six versus Lk Agnes

Hi, we will be in Lake Louise the last week of June planning on doing one horseback ride and one hike here. Which one do you recommend to horseback? We are two 50 year olds in decent shape but not use to elevation gains ( we live @ sea level). Would like to do the horseback on the tougher trail. Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horseback Plain of Six versus Lk Agnes

First of all both trips are excellent.

Plain of Six Glacier/Tea House is the longer of the two (5.5Km one way with elevation gain of 370m or 1215ft)

Lake Agnes is 3.5Km one way with elevation gain of 367m so about the same elevation gain.

Elevation gains are from the Fairmont Hotel which is already well above sea level at approx 1730M or 5675ft.

You can also do both as well, stopping at both Lake Agnes and Plain of six.

There are two good companies right in Lake Louise, Timberline Tours and Brewsters that offer Horseback riding and both have good websites.

Having said that I think the Plain of Six is the nicer hike as you are in the open almost all the way there so you have amazing views the whole time. Lake Agnes trail is mostly in the trees with a few "viewpoints" along the way. When you get to the tea house the views are amazing.

Edited: 5:31 pm, May 08, 2010
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Horseback Plain of Six versus Lk Agnes

Enjoy the shorter walk of the two - Lake Agnes. If you go to Lake Agnes I would highly recommend walking a bit further to enjoy the view from the Little Beehive. It's incredible. Both Timberline Tours and the Brewster Stables offer day rides of 4 or 5 hours to Plains of Six Glaciers. I really like your idea of visiting both, by horse and by foot. Enjoy!

banfflakelouise

Texas
Level Contributor
284 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Horseback Plain of Six versus Lk Agnes

Thanks, I appreciate your opinions. I can't wait!

4. Re: Horseback Plain of Six versus Lk Agnes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, November 07, 2010