We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife and Weather in Banff-Late October?

Tampa
Level Contributor
42 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
Wildlife and Weather in Banff-Late October?

I am flying up to Calgary and then driving over to Castle Mountain area in Banff National Park in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if locals can give me a good idea about what to expect weather wise and wildlife wise? Or is there another area I should visit on this trip?

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,994 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife and Weather in Banff-Late October?

I was there one week ago and it wa snowing and 0 in the morning with a high of 12. Weather varies but you may luck out. Banff is nice no matter what the weather and Lk Louise is another 45 minutes. You can find Elk around Banff but rarely see wildlife in LL however I've seen goats around the area.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,159 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife and Weather in Banff-Late October?

Hi WLifeMan:

I'm curious about why you chose Castle Mountain as a base, and also how long you will be here -- that will help me answer.

Weather cannot be predicted 2 weeks out. However, this TripAdvisor page on weather in Banff National Park

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-c14017/Banff-…

will give you information on longterm averages.

Particularly useful on that page is the link to Weather Underground. The trip planner feature there. For example, by entering dates and locations there, I find that the averages for October 25 to November 5 are:

The Average High Temperature is 4 C with a historical range of -9 C to 15 C

The Average Low Temperature is -5 C with a historical range of -23 C to 7 C

There is a 86% chance of a Freezing Day (temperature below 32°F / 0°C).

(93 days out of 108 in historical record)

Daily Precipitation:

The Average Daily Precipitation is 0.1 with a historical range of 0.0 to 1.1

There is a 40% chance of a Precipitation Day.

Cloud Cover:

Average Cloud Cover is sunny

Wind:

The Average Wind is 8 km/h with a historical range of 0 km/h to 21 km/h

There is a 8% chance of a Windy Day (average wind over 10 mph / 15km/h).

(9 days out of 108 in historical record)

Wildlife viewing opportunities include driving the Bow Valley Parkway (elk, moose, coyotes, chance of wolves), the Minnewanka road or the Mt Norquay road (bighorn sheep, elk, coyotes), walking Vermilion Lakes (migrating waterfowl), the open montane areas around the Town of Banff (elk, deer, coyotes).

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildlife and Weather in Banff-Late October?

Good areas for wildlife sightings are along the Banff Springs Golfcourse, Lake Minnewanka Loop or Bow Valley Parkway. As far as things to do in Banff at the end of October, all attractions are open year round so you could get a ride up on the Gondola, visit one of the museums, art galleries or the Fairmont Hotel, maybe go ice skating on one of the nice lakes (weather-dependant).

Canadian Rockies Rafting also runs a Moose safari tour every evening (depending on reservations), they're locatedin Canmore, just a short drive east from Banff.

banfflakelouise

Tampa
Level Contributor
42 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildlife and Weather in Banff-Late October?

Thanks for the tip regarding the Moose Safari....I think I might do that. And thanks for the wildlife locations.

Tampa
Level Contributor
42 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildlife and Weather in Banff-Late October?

Thanks for our suggestions about wildlife viewing opportunities. And for your question. I chose Castle Mountain because it has cabins that give the feel of being out in the woods. I also hope to do some mediation while I am there and come to some conclusions regarding some difficult family situations I am working through with some nephews. So while I hope to see wildlife, I also need to make some decisions and "being out there" seemed like an ideal choice. I will be in the Canadian Rockies this time only four days, but I am coming back for a full week next July/Aug with a big group of family and friends. On that trip we are staying at Banff Mountain Gate Resort in Dead Man's Flat outside of Canmore. (Total party will be 16)

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,159 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildlife and Weather in Banff-Late October?

Just a quick note to make sure that you know that the Banff Mountain Gate Resort at Deadman's Flats is about a 35-40 minute drive from the Town of Banff, and also that you have read the reviews, which can be found here:

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g181727-d282265-…

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,667 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wildlife and Weather in Banff-Late October?

I stayed at Castle Mountain Chalets in June (in one of their brand new second floor mini-apartments) and enjoyed it very much. Be aware, though, that the trains whistle at the adjacent road crossing - it's a busy freight main-line, 24/7. One train woke me the first night, but it wasn't a problem for me - I rolled over and went right back to sleep. But if you are a very light sleeper, or have trouble getting back to sleep once awakened, it might not be the best place for you.

8. Re: Wildlife and Weather in Banff-Late October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, April 17, 2010