We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

post hotel versus chateau lake louise in suumer

Which Lake Louise hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
naples, florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
post hotel versus chateau lake louise in suumer

We wiil be visiting the Canadian Rockies in July or August. We wil be touring by our selves with a car. We have heard that Post Hotel is lovely, but I get the feeling it is better in the winter for skiing etc. Would you recommend staying at the Post Hotel or Chateau Lake Louise in summer time. We will be sightseeing. walking etc, But not really serious hiking.

We usually do not like groups and were going to start in Vancouver take the Canadian train to Jasper and then go on from there with car. any advise.

Has anyone done the sleep over on the Canadian train. What is it like? Do you have bunk beds or is there an option for non bunk bedding.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: post hotel versus chateau lake louise in suumer

Train are you going VIA Rail, In VIA Rail you get a sleeping car www.viarail.ca/classes/en_serv_visi_voit.html

You will need a triple bed if you do not want a top, it has two lowers.

CLL v. Post. CLL is lakeside and huge. Post is in village and walking distance to the shopping strip. Both are very nice, high priced hotels. That said the Fairmont is/was running a great room special, that alone I would go with the CLL.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: post hotel versus chateau lake louise in suumer

The CLL looks great in photos and is lakeside. Rooms are on the small and pokey side. Parking is CAD33 a day self parking (and CAD 35 valet)!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: post hotel versus chateau lake louise in suumer

holy crap - i can't believe parking is that much.

personally, i'd choose the post and ask for a river side room. please be aware that trains run alot in that area. some ear plugs might be recommended if you are a light sleeper. also, just want to make sure you know that the village of lake louise is very small. there are limited restaurants to choose from. great for a few nights but if you are planning a longer stay, you might want to consider a few nights in banff.

the chateau is beautiful to look at and have a visit but it is so busy with tourists in the summer, i would never stay there.

for the train...depending what you want, for the relatively short trip from vancouver to jasper, i would just take the coach option and not worry about a bed.

4. Re: post hotel versus chateau lake louise in suumer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 10, 2009