We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver/Salmon Arm/ Banff/Jasper - driving tour

Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Topic
Vancouver/Salmon Arm/ Banff/Jasper - driving tour

Please, if you can help us with some informations. I have tried to do my own research and find the moste beautiful sightseeing in the area. Beside Moraine Lake, Emerald Lake, Banff, Athabasca Glacier, Yoho Park. What would you recommend us to see? There's a really short vacation 4 nights. If you have some suggestion, please give us your suggestions. We are looking for a nice trip for a family of 4 (2 adults, a senior and a child).

Also what accomodations would you recommend us? Motels or Bead Brakfast? We look for $$-$$$ range.

We inted maybe to stay first night in Salmon Arm. The following 3 nights we look maybe somewhere in Canmore. Another solution would be 2 nights in Canmore and last night somewhere close to Jasper.

By the way, what do you think about driving back to Vancouver through Fraser Canyon it's better than the classical route - Jasper-Banff-Vancouver?

Thank you in advance for your help.

PS. We intend to go sometimes in between Aug 11-Aug 15

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver/Salmon Arm/ Banff/Jasper - driving tour

Hello 2005schnufi,

Suggest you try this itinerary.

Aug 11 - Vancouver to Revelstoke : 6.5 hours not counting stops. I think it's better to go a bit further than Salmon Arm on this day, otherwise you'll have too much driving to do the following day. That's why I've suggested an overnight stop in Revelstoke.

Aug 12 - Revelstoke to Banff or Canmore : 4 hours not counting stops. Yoho National Park is between Golden and Lake Louise. Suggest you take the side roads to see Emerald Lake and Takakkaw Falls. Then visit Moraine Lake and Lake Louise. Finally, visit Banff townsite and have dinner there. If you add the stops I've mentioned, that'll take you all day.

Aug 13 - Drive from Canmore to Lake Louise and then to Jasper : 4 hours not counting stops. On the Icefields Parkway, which is the road from Lake Louise to Jasper, stop at Peyto Lake, the Athabasca Glacier, Sunwapta Falls and Athabasca Falls. This will take you most of the day. If you have time left over in the late afternoon, visit Maligne Canyon just outside of Jasper townsite. Overnight in Jasper.

Aug 14 - Drive from Jasper to Kamloops : 5 hours not counting stops. When you get to Clearwater, go into Wells Gray Provincial Park to see Helmcken Falls. The drive to Kamloops plus the detour to Helmcken Falls will keep you occupied for the day.

Aug 15 - Drive from Kamloops to Vancouver via Cache Creek, Lytton and Hope. That route will take you through the Fraser River Canyon. It's 5.5 hours not counting stops. You can ride the "Hell's Gate" air tram in the Fraser River Canyon.

I'm not familiar with accommodation in Revelstoke and Kamloops, but I know that both towns have it. Douglas Fir Resort in Banff is a popular place for families to stay. In Jasper do an Internet search for HOME ACCOMMODATION + JASPER. Home accommodation is like a B&B, but without the breakfast. Several of Jasper's home accommodations have kitchens, however, so you can prepare your own breakfast.

TIP : Of all the towns in which you'll be staying, Jasper probably will be the one in which you'll have the greatest difficulty finding accommodation. I suggest you try to get accommodation in Jasper on Aug 12 OR Aug 14. Once you find accommodation in Jasper on ONE of those dates, grab it and build the rest of the trip around that commitment. If necessary you could reverse the trip as follows:

Aug 11 - Drive to Kamloops.

Aug 12 - Drive to Jasper.

Aug 13 - Drive to Banff / Canmore.

Aug 14 - Drive to Revelstoke.

Aug 15 - Drive to Vancouver.

Hope that helps.

Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor