We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Wedding at Lake Louise ... any advice welcome :-)

UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Winter Wedding at Lake Louise ... any advice welcome :-)

Hi

We are getting married at Lake Louise in the new year. We are staying at the Chateau. We were wondering if anyone can offer us any advice on the area :

things to see / do

restaurants / pubs etc

especialling concerning travelling between banff and lake louise as this is where our wedding guests are staying e.g new year and best way to travel between banff and lake louise

any wedding tips :-)

Thanks for all your help

SJ.

Ohio
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Wedding at Lake Louise ... any advice welcome :-)

Oh my gosh. I can not imagine anything more wonderful that the site you have picked for your wedding. I'm sure lots of people will have suggestions and comments so I'll just add a few.

1. There's only one major highway between Banff and Lake Louise. There is a parallel, more scenic route where you might view wildlife.

2. The Chateau will be glad to feed you. Two good restaurants in Lake Louise Village are the Train Station and the Post Hotel. The Post is noted for its wine selection and I highly recommend you try some wines from the Okanagan Valley in BC.

3. As to stuff to do, it will depend on snow levels when you get there but skiing (both downhill and cross-country) as well as snowshoeing are definite possibilities. There's always winter hiking and ice skating.

4. Although the Chateau has a spa, a day at the Willow Stream Spa at the Banff Springs is a great treat.

I'm just getting warmed up here, but I'll let others jump in. Write back if you don't get all the info you were hoping for.

Again, what a gorgeous place at a particularly gorgeous time.

Ontario
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Wedding at Lake Louise ... any advice welcome :-)

Since you will be travelling between Lake Louise and Banff there is a GREAT gourmet buffet on Sundays at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel. Book early so your not disappointed.

UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Wedding at Lake Louise ... any advice welcome :-)

Thank you for all your information... This is a fabulous insight into lake louise

Any other tips are greatly appreciated

SJ

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Wedding at Lake Louise ... any advice welcome :-)

Activities that some of your guests may enjoy are horsedrawn sleigh rides and dog sledding. You can use Banff or Lake Louise as bases for either of these activities.

I've never travelled by bus between Banff and Lake Louise. There is a Greyhound bus that goes from Banff townsite to Lake Louise Village (which is 3 miles from the lake of Lake Louise, where Chateau Lake Louise is located).

There are ski shuttle buses that connect Banff townsite and the ski area of Lake Louise (which is across the TransCanada Highway from the village of Lake Louise and the lake of Lake Louise).

From what I can tell, buses that connect Banff townsite and Chateau Lake Louise are not plentiful.

The driving between Banff and Lake Louise is easy. I don't know how many guests you'll have. If a couple of them are willing to drive, I think renting vehicles for your wedding party would be the best option. They don't have to rent vehicles the whole time they're in the mountains. If they wish, they can get from Calgary Airport to Banff by shuttle bus. You can rent vehicles for your guests in Banff on an as-needed basis, just for the actual day of your wedding if that's what you prefer.

Hope that helps.

UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter Wedding at Lake Louise ... any advice welcome :-)

Thanks Judy ... this is a great advice!

We were wondering about renting a car but thought that the conditions for driving would be considerably different to what we are used to here in Ireland LOL

May sound weird but so far this year we have only had 1 day of snow where we live! :-) The whole experience is quite new to us... none of us ski either LOL . My faincee always wanted a white winter wedding so my aim is to not dissapoint :-)

We are now seriously considering renting a car during our stay just to make thinks a little easier concering travelling between the 2 towns.

Thanks again

SJ

Ohio
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter Wedding at Lake Louise ... any advice welcome :-)

I would definitely consider renting a car. We always rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle when we go there in the winter. That way I feel safe knowing that the car is well equipped for any driving conditions we might encounter.

Of course, you still have to drive sensibly or the 4 wheels won't help.

Someone mentioned a big breakfast spread at the Banff Springs. I'd be really surprised if the Chateau doesn't offer something similar. You should definitely check with them. Both hotels are run by the same chain.

Even if you don't ski, just driving around and looking at the gorgeous scenery is a treat. You can head west into Yoho or north on the Trans-Canada Highway. It's all spectacular. If you drive the Bow Valley Parkway or over to Lake Minnewanka you could spot some wildlife. One year we drove to the lake and were surrounded by mountain goats who decided that our car was just a great place to lick salt. Can't imagine what the rental car people thought of the pattern on the vehicle when we returned it.

With a car you will be able to access Banff for shopping, movies, the Whyte Museum along with many pubs and restaurants. Lake Louise Village doesn't have much. It's really just a little mall that services tourists. Both the Chateau and the Banff Springs Hotel will have up-scale shops if you are in to that.

UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter Wedding at Lake Louise ... any advice welcome :-)

Thanks once again ohiopika

We will prob rent a 4x4 now to get around... prob the best way to travel considering our wedding guests will be in Banff and we will be in Lake Louise

Really apprciate everyones input on this thread.. feel free to suggest anything that springs to mind and would be useful :-)

SJ

8. Re: Winter Wedding at Lake Louise ... any advice welcome :-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 28, 2009