We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this doable itinerary?

Newport Beach
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Is this doable itinerary?

We are planning to drive from Calgary to Lake Moraine this Saturday. Leaving Calgary at 6am and hope to arrive at Lake Moraine by 8am for parking. We will hike around the lake and plan to spend 2 or 3 hours at the late. By 11am, it would be hopeless to find parking at Lake Louise, so we plan to head over to Johnston Canyon for a few hours hike (we heard this hike is easy loop). Have late late lunch in Banff before we head back up to Lake Louise by 5pm. After Lake Louise we will be heading back to Calgary for the night.

What do you think?

Thank you,

Tibby

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
5,944 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Johnston Canyon
Johnston Canyon
2,096 Reviews
Banff National Park, Canada
Banff
Banff
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,539 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this doable itinerary?

That's an awful lot of back and forth. It might be difficult to get parking at LL even at 5 pm, and then it's too late for the shuttle (last one leaves the lake at 6 pm). When you come down from Moraine Lake, I would recommend checking the parking situation at LL, since you are basically already there anyway. If there is nothing, head to the overflow parking area 5 km east of the village on the highway, park there and take the shuttle to the lake, then head to Johnston canyon (which also has parking issues mid-day, so being there later in the afternoon may be better).

pc.gc.ca/en/…louise

Mentioned in this post
Moraine Lake
Moraine Lake
4,922 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Johnston Canyon
Johnston Canyon
2,096 Reviews
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
902 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this doable itinerary?

A more logistic friendly plan is to limit your time at Moraine (its lake shore trail is short), and go to Lake Louis before 9am aiming for a parking space, take your time there, visit Johnson Canyon, and have dinner at Banff on the way back.

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,529 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this doable itinerary?

We recommend a read of the posted question (right side - computer screen.)

Top questions about Lake Louise

What documentation do I require to enter Canada ? Do I need a passport ?

Can you help me with an itinerary for western Canada, including the Rockies?

Do I need to pay an entry fee to visit the Canadian Rocky Mountain national parks?

When is the best time to visit Banff and Jasper National Parks?

Mentioned in this post
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
5,944 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Banff
Banff
Jasper National Park
Jasper National Park
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,802 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this doable itinerary?

I'm not sure how reading the Top Questions would help the OP with his/her very specific question.

Newport Beach
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this doable itinerary?

Thank you everyone. I have been reading many posts on the forum, and I was confused a little with all the parking situation. I am trying to avoid the parking situation, and I don't know how far or current road congestion would be. I thought we visit one lake in the morning and come back in the evening for the other lake. After reading everyone's advises, I think the distance from Lake Louise to Johnston Canyon is not as close as I thought it would be.

We will revise our itinerary. Visit both lake at the same time using the overflow parking lot if needed and then Johnston in the late afternoon.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
5,944 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Johnston Canyon
Johnston Canyon
2,096 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this doable itinerary?

Hello!

Great input above.

Parking at Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, and Johnston Canyon can be a bit tricky. Hop On Banff offers a bus route that includes all three of these areas, so you could leave the car in the town of Banff and not worry about parking.

As krp329 mentions, the parking at all three of these destinations can fill up quickly. For the lakes, we recommend getting to the parking lots no later then 8am (or 7am if you can) or after 7pm. Arrival at Johnston Canyon is recommend no later then 8am or aft 5pm.

Parks Canada offers a free shuttle between the town of Banff, Village of Lake Louise, and up to Lake Louise (or from the 'Overflow Parking' lot). Lake Louise Ski Resort also offers a free shuttle (and ample parking) from the their resort, to the village of Lake Louise, and up to Lake Louise.

Enjoy your vacation to the Canadian Rockies!

-Jodi

Mentioned in this post
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
5,944 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Moraine Lake
Moraine Lake
4,922 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Johnston Canyon
Johnston Canyon
2,096 Reviews
Hop On Banff
Hop On Banff
152 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Banff
Banff
Canada
Canada
North America
The Lake Louise Ski Resort
The Lake Louise Ski...
704 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
7,937 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this doable itinerary?

As mentioned, use shuttles for Lake Louise

Get to Moraine Lake early in the morning. From there, you can head back down the hill and you have two options for shuttle parking. You can park at the lot for the LL gondola or park at the overflow parking lot on the TransCanada highway. The former would be much closer. From either, you can take a free shuttle. So no need to wait until the evening to see Lake Louise.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
5,944 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Moraine Lake
Moraine Lake
4,922 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Banff Gondola
Banff Gondola
7,780 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Newport Beach
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this doable itinerary?

Thank you everyone....

9. Re: Is this doable itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 12, 2018