We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Louise - when to go for hiking and canoeing?

Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
21 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Louise - when to go for hiking and canoeing?

My husband and I are looking at going to Lake Louise this year, but want to avoid the crowds, yet get a lot of hiking in and canoeing on the lake. From going through other posts, it sounds like snow is a good possiblity even into the early summer months on the trails. What time frame would you suggest would be ideal?

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Louise - when to go for hiking and canoeing?

The busiest months in the Canadian Rockies are July and August.

There still are a fair number of visitors in September, but the number of people drops in September compared with the number that there are in July and August.

The Labour Day weekend, which falls at the same time in Canada as it does in the USA (first Monday in September), is the last busy weekend of the summer.

Although I like the entire month of September in the mountains, I especially like the latter half of the month. Around the middle of the month, the aspen trees at the lower elevations, around Canmore and Banff, are in full colour (but it's a yellow-gold fall rather than a red-orange fall). In the latter half of the month, the larches around Moraine Lake and Lake Louise are at their golden best. Larch trees are unusual in that they have needles, and look like coniferous trees, yet they are deciduous trees, and they lose their leaves in the winter.

Jasper's colour peaks a bit later, in early October.

You can get a dusting of snow in September, but September also tends to produce many gloriously crisp, sunny days, with clear blue skies. Actually it's nice if you get an overnight dusting of snow, because the mountain peaks stand out more when they have been sprinkled with white powder.

2. Re: Lake Louise - when to go for hiking and canoeing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, August 21, 2009