We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6months in Banff

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WestOz
1 post
Save Topic
6months in Banff

Hi,

Myself and the better half are planning on working the 07/08 ski season in Banff. Just have a couple of questions regarding accommodation and rates.

We've been told to arrive mid september to attend the job fair and have a better chance of accommodation. Is this correct?

What sort of rates apply for modest but comfortable living quarters. As we are travelling with another couple, will this make it easier / difficult to find accommodation on restricted budget?

Also, is there much seasonable work for electricians in Banff / surrounding areas?

Thanks for your time!

Ben

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6months in Banff

Here are a couple of recent threads that discussed medium-term accommodation and work in Banff:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154911-i221-k8494…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154911-i221-k9008…

I don’t know to what extent you’d be allowed to work as an electrician in Alberta. PERHAPS – and I don’t know enough about this to provide definitive advice – a construction company would let you work under the supervision of a qualified electrician. However, if you wanted to work as a true electrician, you would need Red Seal certification, and to get that you’d need to write an exam. I’ve heard that exam takes quite concerted study on the part of Britons and Australians, because of the different terminology and the different electricity supply (110 Volts rather than 220 Volts).

Construction in Banff townsite is limited, because development within a national park is restricted. However, there is lots of construction taking place in the nearby town of Canmore, which is just outside of the Banff National Park.

I don’t know how long TripAdvisor will tolerate this thread, because it borders on being about relocation rather than about travel. If you want relocation information, I can recommend the Canada section of the British Expats forum (even if you are not British):

http://www.britishexpats.com

2. Re: 6months in Banff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, August 18, 2009