We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff in Feb

London, Uk
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Banff in Feb

Hi all,

How busy is Banff mid Feb being Skiing season and all? Could skiing season be compared to Banff in the summer or are the summer crowds unbeatable?

Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,084 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Banff in Feb

Oops! Onward and I both forgot to mention the Family Day statutory holiday, which will be 19 Feb in 2007. Combine this with the fact that the Calgary public and Catholic school boards hold their Teachers' Convention on 15 & 16 February (which means all those kids are out of school) and I would strongly recommend that you avoid Banff from 15 Feb to 19 Feb, if you wish to avoid crowds.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Banff in Feb

Neil ~> You're going to have to start those days earlier or you'll only have 5 or 6 hours of sun after your breakfast. It's neat to return to a place and look forward to a breakfast or meal that is familiar, eh?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Banff in Feb

Ouch to that weekend for sure - Banff will be packed out. Granted not all Calgarians will be spending the night at hotels. However, the restaurants do pack up. So Neil, just adjust your time accordingly.

London, Uk
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Banff in Feb

We wont be there the 19th but will be for some of the dates. Maybe those days be good for booking our trip to lake louise and the icefields? Also, if the treck to the sundance is walk-able, maybe a nice walk would be called for. Can you normally book tables at steak houses etc a few days in advance? if we can book then theres no real problem

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Banff in Feb

Neil ~> Many times you can book tables in advance. I would at least try. Good idea for booking your trip to Louise and Icefields around that weekend.

Canada/Andorra
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Banff in Feb

Hi

I noticed that you are listed in Lonon. I would say the the ski hills here tend not to get as busy as they do in Europe. Yes for family day it will be busy but even the ques arent that bad.

For eating out I would try to book in advance especially for the weekend, if you are after steak the Keg is good.

Banff in the winter is much quieter than in the summer. If you fancy walking I would recomment Johnson Canyon on the 1A towards Lake Louise (about 15min from Banff) you may want to take some cleats as you can walk up the frozen water in the winter and its stunning. Discover Banff do a trip if you're unsure going alone andd they provide transport and equipment.

If you visit Lake Louise Chateau the ice sculptures and the ice castle on the lake are beautiful. You can even ice skate there too.

Hope you have a great trip a Banff Local.

17. Re: Banff in Feb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, August 19, 2009