We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The fairmont or the Rimrock?

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The fairmont or the Rimrock?

Totally undecided! My husband and I are planning a snow boarding holiday for jan/feb 07. we like the look of these 2 hotels but are left undecided.

we enjoy boarding but are not the type of people to be chomping at the bit to get on the slopes - we like it to be relaxing too so do spend time in the hotel room and around the hotel. I sometimes have days off for shopping too.

We plan to start a family soon and want a blow out luxury holiday before all of that begins! Also, is it a pain to get in and out of banff from these hotels?

any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Banff
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The fairmont or the Rimrock?

If you are looking for a place where you can both relax, and ski, and enjoy an emblem of Banff it's most definatley THE BANFF SPRINGS HOTEL....WHY?

-People come from other hotels in Banff just to explore this one

-It was the first luxury hotel in Banff

-You could spend a day exploring the elegance !

-It has a mini museum of Banff History

-The spa is one of the best in the world

-It's a much closer walk to downtown Banff... (about 15minutes)

-It has an outdoor hot pools

-The architecture is un-believable and adds instant ambience

-The beds are the softest in the world

The Rimrock, I agree is beautiful and offers some great views of the Bow Valley and is closer to the hot springs... it does not compete with the history, luxury, and awe of the Banff Springs. Also, you'll have to take the shuttle into town.

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The fairmont or the Rimrock?

RB2B

By entering "fairmont rimrock" in the search box to the left of GO above, you'll find some previous comparison threads. Both sound great!

If you'd rather not hire a car, there is www.banffairporter.com

Banff
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: The fairmont or the Rimrock?

Best way to compare them is price and value. The Rimrock is cheaper (its the "other" luxory hotel in Banff, it better be cheaper. A the rimrock, you will get a bigger room and a view for the same price as a non-view room at the Farimont.

The Fairmont is still incredible. Romantic to the end, there is no comparison to it at any of the hotels in Canada. History, amenities, restaurants, spas (and 2 ghosts, ask the staff about it)

The Rimrock is a bit more sterile, not as much character.

Hope that helps, good luck and enjoy Banff, there is allready a dusting of snow on the mountains!

Glen Ellyn, IL
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: The fairmont or the Rimrock?

Just returned from a trip to Banff and due to an overbooking situation had the opportunity to stay at both the Rimrock and the Fairmont. For my money, I'd stay at the Rimrock any day. The Fairmont is extremely crowded with convention traffic. The standard operating procedure seems to be to place you in one of the less desirable rooms (beware of the rooms some of our travel-mates referred to as the dungeons) until/unless you complain and then you may be moved to a room more in keeping with the price you are paying. Still, even though our room was fine (albeit small with a small dated bathroom), my wife and I couldn't help but feel we didn't receive good value.

Also, if you want to eat in the resaurant(s) make reservations early. We strolled into one restaurant at 2 p.m. to grab a quick (and we thought, late) lunch and were told that we could not be seated because they were full and we had failed to make a reservation. The next evening, we wanted to eat in the Waldhaus Pub restaurant, called at about 1 p.m. for an evening reservation, and were told the restaurant was completely booked for the night.

Also, both my wife and I remarked that in the entire vast hotel there wasn't a single place to get comfortable. Even the comfortable looking sofas were hard as a rock, and there was not a single fireplace to be found in the entire hotel. Imagine a hotel in the Canadian Rockies without a fireplace!

The Rimrock, by contrast, was clean, beautiful, with a staff well trained and a room which felt like a luxury hotel room. The views were great, if not better than the Fairmont and there was not the incessant noise and thundering hooves of the convention crowd throughout the day and night.

My advice is visit the Fairmont for an hour or two, have tea if you want, and then go back to the Rimrock for some peace and quiet and a T.V. that's bigger than the one you watched Brady Bunch on 30 years ago.

Palos Verdes, CA
Level Contributor
27 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The fairmont or the Rimrock?

I totally agree with the previous poster. I've stayed at both and prefer the Rimrock by a long shot. However, make sure you visit the Fairmont.

6. Re: The fairmont or the Rimrock?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, August 24, 2009