We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

with a 5 1/2 day itinerary, is Jasper worth it?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
704 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
with a 5 1/2 day itinerary, is Jasper worth it?

We would appreicate comments on this itinerary.

arrving banff saturday morning and flight out of calgary thursday 5:30pm (jun28-jul3)

2 days in Banff then drive to jasper

1 night Jasper then drive to canmore

2 nights in canmore with last day 5:30 pm flight

i just booked Jasper as an overnight place for our icefield 2 day round trip.

i am not sure if i will regret not staying longer in jasper and less in banff/canmore.

would i have enough time exploring jasper before driving to canmore?

what are the must see in jasper or will it be part of our icefield drive?

haven't had the time to see the activities but, we definitely would like to do some hiking.

i just had to book the hotels because i am worried that i may run out

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
30,831 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: with a 5 1/2 day itinerary, is Jasper worth it?

that plan is quite doable. If it was my trip, with a 5:30 pm flight out, I would add an extra night in Jasper and have just one night in Canmore, because you'll have all of the next morning around Banff.

At the Jasper head to the Icefields Parkway is Mt. Edith Cavel and Athabasca falls, so these two sites can be visited as part of the drive up and down the parkway. However, the famous area where all the photos are taken are up the Malign Valley, which you access slightly east of town on the Hinton Road. You can drive up and down to Malign Lake in a morning, but I encourage you to take the time to walk a good section of the canyon (at least three of the bridges - start at the top, so don't park at the first Malign Canyon parking lot you come to, drive up to the top lot and walk down) and complete the drive up past Medicine Lake to the end of Malign Lake where you have the option to take a boat trip up to the location of the iconic Jasper image of...the island which name escapes me but I'm sure someone can help me out here.

There is another gondola in Jasper, and then the highest point in the Canadian Rockies is actually slightly west of Jasper in Mt. Robson Provincial Park in BC, so with an extra day you can do the drive out to Mt. Robson as well.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Canmore
Canmore
Kananaskis Country, Canada
Banff
Banff
Hinton
Hinton
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Medicine Lake
Medicine Lake
313 Reviews
Mount Robson Inn
Mount Robson Inn
1,712 Reviews
Jasper, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,411 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: with a 5 1/2 day itinerary, is Jasper worth it?

Yes! But 2 nights Jasper and 1 night Canmore. Have you had a chance to read this article from the Top Questions to the right?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c112507/Canad…

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Canmore
Canmore
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,977 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: with a 5 1/2 day itinerary, is Jasper worth it?

For spectacularosity, the best stuff is between Canmore and just north of the Columbia Icefield.

IMHO.

Mentioned in this post
Canmore
Canmore
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
7,561 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: with a 5 1/2 day itinerary, is Jasper worth it?

Spirit Island??

I think it's doable, though I would +1 on the idea for two nights in Jasper. I would book the rest of your nights ASAP since that is a holiday weekend. With that in mind, I'd also leave a bit more time to get from place to place and to allow more time for getting to/from the airport, since lots of folks with be on the road.

The drive from Banff to Jasper is 3-4 hours, but one generally takes a whole day to do it to see all the sites. On the way back you could see other places you missed, especially if the weather doesn't 100% cooperate the first time. I would leave time one of the days to see Lake Louise if you aren't doing that when you are in Banff/Canmore. That might a great place to visit first thing on the way to Jasper or at the end of the day on your way back, as it will be likely very crowded over the long weekend.

If you do the Icefields Explorer Tour, allow several hours for that. I think, other than for tour buses, it's first come, first serve, so you'd need to arrive very early or be prepared to wait.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Banff
Banff
Canmore
Canmore
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: with a 5 1/2 day itinerary, is Jasper worth it?

why canmore? i'd do 2 nights banff, 2 nights jasper, last night in banff.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
704 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: with a 5 1/2 day itinerary, is Jasper worth it?

Why not canmore? I haven't checked the activities yet but, i just though maybe there are other must see in canmore area since we already did banff? May i know the reason why i should go back to banff?

7. Re: with a 5 1/2 day itinerary, is Jasper worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 03, 2015