We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff and Vancouver in mid-October

toronto
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Banff and Vancouver in mid-October

Hi! We were thinking in spending some days in Banff and some days in Vancouver in October? How is the weather like in Banff around mid-October? Is it a good time to go? What are the most important thing to see there, how long do I need? ( I have one week and I was thinking I would stay it all in Banff or if I would split and spend a couple of days in Vancouver) Please help...

Raquel

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banff and Vancouver in mid-October

mid-October weather is going to be extremely unpredictable. There's a 50-50 chance of snow. The temperature could be anywhere between 0 and 15C. After Thanksgiving, several roads to popular hiking spots are closed.

Banff to Vancouver is about 10 hours driving straigh through. Most people, especially visitors, break that up into 2 days, spending a night around Kelowna in the Okanogan area.

How long to spend is a personal thing. My first visit was just 1afternoon in the town site. Lots of people spend weeks and don't see everything. Vancouver is more of an urban destination. So if you're into hiking and nature, you'd want to spend more time in Banff. If you want more of a bustling metropolis with shopping and nightlife, then devote more time to Vancouver.

Personally, with only a week and at that time of year, I'd head straigt for Vancouver and spend some time exploring the wilderness and mountains in that area and on Vancouver Island.