We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best week September 2014?

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
296 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Best week September 2014?

My husband and I (mid 50's) are at the beginning stages of planning a September 2014 trip to the Canadian Rockies. We can stay up to 10 days, and our dates are flexible. Our focus will be on hiking (easy ones for me; he'll go on more strenuous trails in the mornings without me), wildlife and maybe some fishing. We would love to see the trees beginning to change, too. We are from the American southeast, so we don't know how to drive in snow.

I've read everything I can find on TA, but still wonder what week(s) in September might be ideal for our interests. I know rates will likely drop later, and weather is unpredictable, but seeing wildlife, avoiding crowds (which is why we're not considering July/August) and avoiding snow are out highest priorities. Any advice on timing -- and anything else for our age/interests? Thanks!

11. Re: Best week September 2014?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:03 pm, November 15, 2013
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Best week September 2014?

I would recommend the second week of September as well. It will be after the Canadian Labour Day holiday and the crowds will have quieted down. By then some mid-week hotel prices will be dropping and the larch trees in the higher alpine regions will be turning gold. If you plan on doing any hiking around the Moraine Lake/Lake Louise area (this includes Larch Valley) please note that most of the trails require hiking in groups of 4 or more. This will be important for your husband doing the more strenuous hikes in the morning.

September is a sparse month for wildlife viewing and bears are less common along roadside.

Snow can happen any day of the year in the Canadian Rockies but if it snows during the first 2 weeks of September it usually does not stick around after noon.

There is several guided fishing companies in Banff banfflakelouise.com/Things-To-Do/…Fishing

13. Re: Best week September 2014?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 02, 2014