We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights in Banff in late October - Things to do?

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
3 nights in Banff in late October - Things to do?

Hello,

I will be staying in Banff from Oct 25-28. October clearly does not seem like a good time to visit Banff.. Unfortunately, I cannot change the dates as I am going there anyway for some other occasion around that time.

I will be staying at B&B close to the Fairmont Banff Springs and won't have a car. I was hoping to do some hiking, although I was told it might be difficult as the weather can be very unpredictable.

Any suggestions/thoughts/advice on what to do during this 3-day stay would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights in Banff in late October - Things to do?

Hi and welcome to the TripAdvisor forums! I visited Banff two years ago Oct. 31 to Nov. 2, a little get-away and change of scenery from here in Jasper, and we did the hike from town to the hoodoos and back. It was a pretty chilly day but we still enjoyed it. (Take warm clothes, mitts or gloves and a warm hat.) There was just a bit of snow, not enough to make things slippery. The hot springs are nice for warming up after!

You should also be able to see Bow Falls, and hike Tunnel Mountain, and there are also trails at the west edge of town (Fenland?) Stop in at the visitor centre on Banff Avenue for more information. From town, you can take the Roam transit bus to the gondola and the hot springs. If you like museums, be sure to visit the Whyte Museum.

I don't think you'll have any trouble filling three days. I don't know if there is a "bad" time to visit Banff - the mountains are beautiful all year-round, the town is much quieter, and accommodation rates are cheaper in October. Enjoy!

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights in Banff in late October - Things to do?

These pages should help:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154911-c14522/Banff:…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154911-c155456/Banff…

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights in Banff in late October - Things to do?

There are some hikes that are open in the fall. But October is kind of the time in between summer and ski season...so you will be a little limited. You can check on the trail reports here: www.pc.gc.ca/apps/tcond/cond_e.asp…

If you are looking for active things to do, there are lots of bike paths so you could bike, walk, or jog around.

Banff has lots of great restaurants. There are hot springs close by ...as well there are hot springs in Radium BC which is a scenic 1.5 hour drive from Banff.

Banff has a number of seasonal activities and festivals. So check out this site for what's on during your stay.

www.banfflakelouise.com/Area-Events/Festivals

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 nights in Banff in late October - Things to do?

Oh thanks all for your replies! It really helps. Thank you!!

Canmore, AB
Level Contributor
77 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 nights in Banff in late October - Things to do?

You'll be there right during the Banff Mountain Film & Book Festival. World class event that is worth checking out.

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 nights in Banff in late October - Things to do?

I was going to ask the very same question! lol

I've been to the area many many times, but never this time of year.

It's usually during ski/snowboard season... or during summer tourist season. Summer hiking when flying solo is easy because there's an abundance of people on every trail. However, in the fall... the season is over, yet the bears (and friends) are still out and hungry.

I'll be tripping to town on the 29th for a couple of days and pretty much have my lineup of restaurants layed out... I didn't know what I could venture into in terms of hiking. I'm hoping to see some human traffic on Sulfur mountain and will be checking in at the info centre to get some guidance.

Cheers to a beautiful fall folks!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 nights in Banff in late October - Things to do?

I think you might be quite limited on the hiking for the 29th since the first big snow of the year supposed to be coming tonight and tomorrow. I think they're talking about 20 cm in Banff by Sunday (27th) evening. And temps not above freezing until the 29th. So it might be better for xc skiing than hiking :o)

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 nights in Banff in late October - Things to do?

Based on what's happening here today, I would say that most of these valley bottom trails will be just fine:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154911-c14522/Banff:…

Edited: 7:54 pm, October 27, 2013
Ontario
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 nights in Banff in late October - Things to do?

Could you tell me if you have snow on the ground in Banff? If yes, how much?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 nights in Banff in late October - Things to do?

Have a look at a webcam:

http://www.banffcentre.ca/webcam/

http://www.explorerockies.com/banff-webcam/