We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Lights

What are my chances of seeing the Northern Lights the first weekend in October if I get out away from city lights?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,674 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Lights

Impossible to predict of course, but chances are very slim.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Terry

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,175 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Lights

This website gives predictions several days in advance, but is not yet showing as far ahead as October. www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/NorthPolar/ I have seen some stunning aurora photos taken by some of the Banff-area photographers, taken at Lake Minnewanka. Perhaps you might want to take a drive there to have a look?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Lights

In Banff? It's not very common.

Australia
Level Contributor
191 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Lights

Total luck of the draw. I have seen it a number of times. Some nights the sky glows green and some nights you get the full curtain effect.

I use http://www.aurorawatch.ca/ to see if they are out. If it gets over 90% you should go out to Lake Minnewanka. You may have to wait. It will be cold so dress warm.

Here is a blog from a local guy that shoots a lot of northern light stuff at the Lake - zizka.ca/2013/…

5. Re: Northern Lights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 25, 2014