We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Hiking Restrictions/Larch Valley

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice on Hiking Restrictions/Larch Valley

We will be on a 9 day tour of Banff, Yoho, and Jasper National Parks filled with lots of hiking starting the first week of September. Since it is just my husband and myself, we are concerned about the restriction of groups of 4, especially at the Valley of Ten Peaks area and the Larch Valley/Sentinel Pass trail as this hike is high on our list. How hard is it to meet up with other hikers? Should we play it safe and reserve a guided hike with Great Divide Hikes? I've heard it is possible to wait at the trailhead or make arrangements at the Information Centre to meet up with other hikers? Any advice?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,735 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Hiking Restrictions/Larch Valley

>> I've heard it is possible to wait at the trailhead or make arrangements at the Information Centre to meet up with other hikers?

I don't know what else to suggest, other than a guided hike. Of course, the trick will be to find someone else of similar fitness as you, with the same objective in mind. The restriction is in place for grizzly bear conservation and hiker safety reasons. The legal bulletin on the BNP website says the distance between any two persons should not exceed 3 metres. www.pc.gc.ca/apps/scond/Cond_E.asp…

If you have any questions about hiking in Jasper National Park, I would be happy to answer them if I am able.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Hiking Restrictions/Larch Valley

Hi, dilly315! My husband and I just took a vacation to the Rockies and did a lot of hiking as well. We ended up booking with Great Divide Day Hikes to do the Eiffel Lake/Valley of the Ten Peaks hike because I was also concerned about the group of 4 restriction and hooking up with other people. While I can say that that wouldn't have been an issue (there were plenty of people) it may have been an issue finding someone to go at the same pace as us and wanting to stop and take photos when we did. We booked with Great Divide a month in advance and as long as you are the first to book the hike for that day, you can pick the hike. So once I chose Eiffel Lake, anyone else that wanted a guided hike on that same day had to do the Eiffel Lake hike. We ended up with 7 in our group plus Nadine, our guide, and it was wonderful!! I felt very comfortable hiking in that area because she knew what to look for when it came to possible bear sightings and she also educated us on what to do. There were other people on the trail without a guide so it's really just a matter of what you think you will feel comfortable doing. Have a great vacation!! We LOVED it!

seattle wa
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Hiking Restrictions/Larch Valley

My hubby and I will be there that week as well. Hoping to do sentinel pass on the first. We are in a low 30-s and fairly fit. We may to try hike with a dog on a leash. If you want to hike up with us we will be at the trail head around 830-9 isn.

seattle wa
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Hiking Restrictions/Larch Valley

oops- we are doing sentinel pass on the 2nd not the 1st. can't wait!

Boston...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Hiking Restrictions/Larch Valley

Hi applejuicetraveler! Thank you so much for your offer of joining you on the sentinel pass hike. Unfortunately, we won't be arriving in Banff until the afternoon of the 2nd. We hope you have a great time!

6. Re: Advice on Hiking Restrictions/Larch Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 26, 2014