We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take one-year old baby to Glacier adventure?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Take one-year old baby to Glacier adventure?

I'm taking my 14 month old daughter to Banff end of august, I wonder if it's a good idea to take her to the glacier adventure tour?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,702 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Take one-year old baby to Glacier adventure?

If you mean could she handle it, then yes, no problems. You ride out onto the glacier in a huge Ice Explorer vehicle, park, get out and walk around on the glacier for a bit, then get back in the Ice Explorer and return. Simple.

If she's mobile by then just keep an eye on her so she doesn't venture outside the parking area when you're on the glacier.

Have fun.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,284 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Take one-year old baby to Glacier adventure?

Agreed with Terry. I'm sure babies and toddlers go on it all the time (and they're free!) It's a bus ride ... well, two bus rides, to be precise. You will wait in a line-up, and then board a bus which will take you from the visitor centre up to the "sno-coach" terminal. You will get off the bus and get on the sno-coach, which is like a bus except that it has huge tires and a really powerful engine. The tour will continue up to the safe area on the glacier where they let you off for about 15 or 20 minutes. Dress warmly - it is cold up there.

The safe area is quite large and delineated by neon traffic cones and a snow bank along the periphery, but at any given time there are numerous sno-coaches up there, and a few hundred people.

The drivers give you commentary on the way, so I guess the only issue would be whether your child will be content on your lap or in your arms on an outing of that length (approx. 80 - 90 minutes, plus the waiting time) without kicking up a fuss and crying, since that would make it difficult for others to hear the tour.

Edited: 3:30 pm, August 18, 2013
3. Re: Take one-year old baby to Glacier adventure?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 20, 2014
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question