We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone took Parker Ridge Trail lately? & Mt. Noguay top...

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
182 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone took Parker Ridge Trail lately? & Mt. Noguay top...

Anyone tried the Parker ridge Trail since the flood? The current condition is "Poor, stay on trail" but I don't think it receive any update for a while. Hopefully someone who passed by Icefield Parkway since recently can report the current condition.

Also interested to know the road condition for Mt Norquay Rd to the top of Mountain Norquay.

Thanks

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
182 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Anyone took Parker Ridge Trail lately? & Mt. Noguay top...

looks like it is going to be very cool on Sunday (Lake Louise 12C high).

kind of a stupid question, is Parker Ridge frequently visited by bears?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,648 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Anyone took Parker Ridge Trail lately? & Mt. Noguay top...

I'm so glad you bumped this thread... saves me from having to search for it! Being the conscientious DE that I am, I hiked the Parker Ridge trail yesterday just so I could report about it here on TA. :) OK, not really, but seriously, I did hike it yesterday and one of the reasons I picked it is because I was going out hiking alone, and it is a busy trail, and therefore less likely to be visited by bears. Note that I said "less likely" ... I saw some photos a few weeks back of three grizzly bears strolling by at the end of Lake Louise, with the dozen or so climbers who were at the bottom of the cliff there all bunched together for safety until the bears wandered on.

The other reason I picked it is because I haven't hiked that trail in for several years. I had forgotten how gorgeous it is! Once you are at the top, be sure to head south (left) toward the end of the trail, to where you get the full view of the Saskatchewan Glacier.

As to the trail conditions - the trail is in great condition - there are no snow patches on the trail, but a couple are just off it, so there are a couple of short sections that are a bit wet (a small amount of water running down a short section of trail), but the rest of the trail is dry. I noticed the wet areas were bigger on my way down ... after such a hot day had accelerated the melting, but that shouldn't be so much of a problem for you on a cool day.

Parker Ridge is closer to Jasper than to Lake Louise, but is higher than Lake Louise (and much higher than the Jasper townsite). Yesterday was 31C here in Jasper, and mid-20s at Parker (my vehicle registered 25 when I finished my hike in late afternoon). Sunday is forecasted to be 21 here in Jasper, so 12 to 15 sounds like a reasonable estimate for Parker. It was quite windy up there yesterday, so if it is cool and breezy (and it's often windy up there), it may seem colder than it actually is. That's why I always have an extra warm layer, a windproof layer, and gloves/mini-mitts in my pack all summer long. If you are prepared for the conditions, you will be fine ... and you won't be sharing the trail with so many others.

Edited: 8:47 pm, July 03, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
182 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Anyone took Parker Ridge Trail lately? & Mt. Noguay top...

krp, you rock. I actually like more crowd so I don't have to worry about bears. Too bad I cannot order hot sunny day on Sunday (I only have one shot because hotel are already booked). Hopefully the weather will cooperate, I don't have any glove but I do have winter jacket and bear spray with me. Unfortunately bear spray is not much of a use in windy situation.

thanks again for report back the trail condition.

Edited: 9:44 pm, July 03, 2013
14. Re: Anyone took Parker Ridge Trail lately? & Mt. Noguay top...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 05, 2014