We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

us dollars

Phoenix
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
us dollars

Do most places accept us dollars or will I need to exchange to Canadian? Do they accept credit cards for National Park passes?

Kacky

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,307 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: us dollars

you can charge your park pass ok. I go there all the time and everyone will take US $$ but you will absolutely get horrible exchange rates. A few weeks back most places were giving $1.10 when the exchange should have been $1.16. As the Canadian $$ has gotten way stronger the $ is almost at par. Go to oanda.com and print out their travelers cheatsheat. Then you will know the real deal. I'd suggest going to to Canadian ATM and get a few hundred $$. Even though you will pay a fee you will get the actual exchange rate. When you convert at currency places or cash travelers checks, not only do you pay a fee, but they screw you on the rate. Best to either come with Cdn or use ATM

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: us dollars

Kacky ~> Good suggestions from David. Due to the stronger dollar at this point it would be better not to expect a good exchange from vendors.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1868-Stampedin…

Canada
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: us dollars

Yes, credit cards are accepted at the main entrance into Banff National Park. We have used Visa and AMEX.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,436 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: us dollars

You will be able to pay for most things with credit cards, including park passes, however, if you spend US dollars in a shop or restaurant, you won't get as good a rate as you would at the bank. It's also a little more respectful to change a bit of money to the currency of the country you are travelling to, instead of assuming that every place will take your currency. Many places in Canada do take US $ with no problem, but this is a courtesy - and one, I might add, that is not generally returned when Canadians travel on your side of the border.

5. Re: us dollars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, August 12, 2009