We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling between banff and kalispell montana

Caesarea, Israel
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
traveling between banff and kalispell montana

We are a family of five that will be traveling from the rockies to kalispell montana, where we need to return our car and catch a flight. Can anyone suggest a place to stop midway due to the long drive ? Someplace with nice views and or interesting things to do.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
418 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling between banff and kalispell montana

Depends on the route and time of year.

If coming down the east side of the Rockies you could stop around Waterton Park in Canada which is a little over 1/2 way. A beautiful park with some good restaurants.

Or continue on to St Mary, MT (and get over the US border) where you can then the Going-To-The-Sun Road through Glacier National Park (U.S.), with its many senic views, over to Kalispell, MT.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,307 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling between banff and kalispell montana

I normally stop at Kimberly which is a 'bavarian' type town with lots of restaraunts. It was a good spot driving from Whitefish to Banff.

Caesarea, Israel
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling between banff and kalispell montana

Thanks, will look into it. I see you are from Seattle, we are actually landing there and i am wondering how many days i will need. What are the special attractions to look for?

Caesarea, Israel
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling between banff and kalispell montana

Thanks, will look into both those options. I am trying to make the long drive as easy as possible.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,307 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling between banff and kalispell montana

Seattle is pretty compact in the downtown core. If you look on the Seattle forum on top right is a one day itinerary without a car. I'd think two full days would give you a flavor of the main downtown area. If your planning to drive to Kalispell you'll see the diversity of the landscape. Post on the Seattle forum and you'll get some good responses.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
122 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling between banff and kalispell montana

Midway from (Canadian) Rockies to Kalispell is such a wide area. You should be more specific about the place in Rockies.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,084 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: traveling between banff and kalispell montana

Cranbrook looks like the best choice for a midway stop; however, if you want to learn more about it, the British Columbia forum is probably a better choice than the Banff National Park forum.

Caesarea, Israel
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: traveling between banff and kalispell montana

Thank you all, great tips.

9. Re: traveling between banff and kalispell montana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 14, 2014