We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Group national park pass

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
essex uk
4 posts
Save Topic
Group national park pass

we are travelling from Canmore to Vancouver in August and will be visiting Jasper and Banff National parks and also spending 3 days in Ucluelet along the way.

I think because we will be in the parks for at least 7 days we will be better off buying an annual pass.

However we are unsure whether we need to buy individual passes or a group pass.

There will be 5 of us travelling in one vehicle,2 adults 2 seniors and our 18 year old daughter.

I have checked the national park site and it's not really clear.The fees section of the Banff NP website defines a family/group as up to 7 people travelling in one vehicle with no mention of maximum number of adults however I'm sure i read somewhere else that you could only have amaximum of 2 adults in a family/group

Any advice would be useful

thank you

Peter

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Group national park pass

When I go to the web page that lists Banff National Park's fees, I don't see anything about a maximum of 2 adults to a vehicle:

pc.gc.ca/apps/tarifs-fees/tarif-fee_E.asp…

The same is true of Jasper National Park:

and Yoho National Park:

and Kootenay National Park:

However, if I go to the web page for Waterton Lakes National Park, it mentions the 2 adult limit:

Pacific Rim National Park (in the Tofino / Ucluelet area) also has the 2 adult limit:

The annual pass is supposed to be valid at all of Canada's national parks, so I don't know why there is this discrepancy. We buy our pass at Banff National Park every year, and the clerk in the booth never bothers how many people (adults or otherwise) there are in our vehicle.

We've never had park wardens check on the number of adults in our vehicle when we've visited other national parks with the pass we've bought from Banff National Park.

In your case, I'm guessing you in any case qualify for the 2 adult limit. The national parks define an adult as a person between 17 and 64 years of age. If the two seniors in your group are 65 or older, I believe they are not adults for the purposes of this calculation.

Okay, I concluded that I didn't have enough information to answer your question definitively, so I have just phoned the Banff National Park information office. The woman who answered the phone said that a group pass was valid for a group of between 2 and 7 people, regardless of their ages. I asked her if the pass that you bought at the Banff National Park gates would be valid also in Pacific Rim National Park, and she said it would be.

Why different national parks' web pages contradict each other, I have no idea.

Anyway I hope this helps.

essex uk
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Group national park pass

Judy

Thanks for your reply and for going to the trouble of checking with the National Parks.I think it was probably on the pacific rim site that I saw the bit about 2 adults.

I would just like to add that we have been using the information on your website and it has been really useful.

Can't wait for July so we can see the beautiful area you know so well.

Peter

3. Re: Group national park pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:40 pm, May 15, 2006
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
257 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Group national park pass

I believe as of April 1, 2006, the annual park pass price has been increased to $125 CDN.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Group national park pass

Peter ~> Bienvenue/Welcome and enjoy your trip. I wasn't aware of the price jump either.

But here is some helpful info. If it's been mentioned forgive my repetition. "Family/Group: Up to seven people, regardless of age, arriving in a single vehicle at a national park or visiting a national historic site together"

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1868-Stampedin…

6. Re: Group national park pass

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:58 am, July 10, 2006
Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Group national park pass

>>>>>>i'm from canmore and i travelled to banff everyday for work and skiing... for 20 years i never bought a park pass, and only once did i get a ticket..... a ticket for 7$...the same price as to buy a daily pass to the park....just a thought.<<<<<<

National parks personnel have stopped us and checked our national parks pass on quite a few occasions at the Lake Louise parking lot and also on several occasions when we have entered the Icefields Parkway (Hwy #93 between Lake Louise and Jasper).

Since we've always had our annual pass with us, I don't know what would have happened if we had not had a pass.

It's expensive to operate national parks, and I believe that the money that is raised from entry fees is put to good use.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Group national park pass

needsomebronzage,

In response to your suggestion that people not bother to buy a park entrance pass, here is an excerpt from the Parks Canada website with regard to fees:

>>>>>Entry and service fees are charged at most national parks and national historic sites, where revenues are kept to support visitor services and facilities. This means, that every time you visit a park or site you are investing in its future — and in a legacy for future generations.<<<<<

In other words, the fees support the development and maintenanceof the facilities that we all use and enjoy in the park, such as shelters, pit toilets at trailheads, signage, campgrounds, etc.

I would like to mention one other thing: in the past ten years that I have been making use of the national park facilities I have purchased a pass every time I enter the park. I can honestly say that I have seen park employees patrolling parking lots and campgrounds, checking for valid entrance passes on at least 50% of my visits. The fine is now more than the cost of the entrance fee to discourage people from following your suggested method of practice.

Just a thought =:>)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Group national park pass

I agree completely. People shouldn't try to get away without purchasing a pass to the parks. It does cost the government money to run the park system. They routinely stop you going up to Lake Minnewanka and Two Jack.

Also I don't think people going right through should get off the hook either. They are road users too.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1868-Stampedin…

10. Re: Group national park pass

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, August 11, 2009