We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johnston Canyon

Perth, Australia
10 posts
Save Topic
Johnston Canyon

We are on a Cosmos tour mid June this year and we have a free day in Banf. We would like to do Johnston Canyon early morning and Banf Gondala in the afternoon. Is there any public transport that goes to the canyon and gondala. Or how much would it roughly cost us by taxi. I also could not find any summer tours that go to the canyon?

Mentioned in this post
Johnston Canyon
Johnston Canyon
1,648 Reviews
Banff National Park, Canada
Toloco Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Dan Evans Photography
Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Johnston Canyon

Cosmos usually stays at the Banff Park Lodge? I believe. The roam bus will take you right to the gondola for $2 or less. That one is easy. I know the Brewster tours do stop at Johnston Canyon but I'm sure that is part of another tour. A taxi I'm afraid would be prohibitively expensive. You may just want to rent a car for the day as one possiblility. You might also check with Discover Banff tours and see if they do any tour that incorporates Johnston Canyon.

Mentioned in this post
Johnston Canyon
Johnston Canyon
1,648 Reviews
Discover Banff Tours
Discover Banff Tours
2,046 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Johnston Canyon

assuming you are two people, i'd try to hook up with another couple and rent a car for the day. that way you could get around and see as much as possible and split 4 ways, probably wouldn't be too expensive. johnson's canyon is a nice, realitively easy hike. it's along a beautiful highway. pack a picnic (from the local grocery store) and enjoy your breaks at some of the gorgious areas. i think it's about 1/2 way between banff & lake louise so you could carry onto there if you want to relax at the chateau for a coffee or something.

ontario canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Johnston Canyon

that is a great idea to rent a car for the day! it is 26 miles from banff to johnston canyon. i would continue going to lake louise and check out morraine lake when there too. you could start your day with the gondola (it is well worth it) and then head out to johnstone canyon and see how long your day is and how much more exploring you want to do. but i think it is very very doable to also get lake louise and morraine lake into the same day. you just need to rent a car.

Mentioned in this post
Johnston Canyon
Johnston Canyon
1,648 Reviews
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Johnston Canyon

since they are on a 'tour' I'd make certain that LL and Moraine lk aren't already on the itinerary. I'm pretty sure they would be.

Perth, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Johnston Canyon

thankyou for all your advice Hooking up with another couple sounds like a great idea. we are looking forward to our stay in Banf.

6. Re: Johnston Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 14, 2014