We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help picking a hotel in Banff

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Need help picking a hotel in Banff

I am planning a trip in early august which includes 3 nights in Banff. My family of 3 is very picky with beds and we don't like noise. It isn't necessary to be where all the action is since a 13 year old precludes the bar scene. I am strongly considering the Juniper. I was also looking at the Caribou lodge, the Banff Ave Inn and Hidden Ridge resort but some people complained of noise in these places. We are planning on spending part of the time touring around (Lake Louise and Icefields, etc) so it's not necessary to be right in town. I don't want to spend more than $250 per night so places like the Rimrock are out. I also ruled out anywhere with only double beds (we're tall).

Any help would be appreciated.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,376 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help picking a hotel in Banff

I think you might also want to take a look at Buffalo Mountain Lodge and Douglas Fir Chalets. I'm not sure about their bed types, but they're in a relatively quiet location. If you choose Caribou or Banff Avenue, you may want to tell them very specifically that you would like a quiet location, as both of these are on Banff Avenue. If you choose Juniper, you should consider asking for a room that faces the mountain rather than the view (not a choice I personally would ever make there, as the views are spectacular), because on the view side you may hear the train and the highway.

You might also want to take a look at the B&B list - some of these are in lovely quiet residential settings. Check out bbalberta.com

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
282 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help picking a hotel in Banff

There have been complaints of noise at Hidden Resort? We have reservations at that spot for this summer, and have done so because it looked remote and quiet. Where did you hear about the noise complaints?

Also, question for Banff....would staying on Beaver St. near Buffalo St. be a quiet or more quiet location? Is it somewhat removed from the hustle and bustle? What is the view like in that area of the town?

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help picking a hotel in Banff

I saw a few complaints of noise for the Hidden Ridge resort on the customer reviews on this website. It may be only for certain rooms.

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help picking a hotel in Banff

I did look at Douglas Fir resort and now have it at the top of my list. I am assuming that if I am in a condo type resort (with a kitchen) that it would be way cheaper to buy a few groceries on my way out of Calgary instead of buying them in Banff.

I also considered trying to book one night at the Columbia Icefields Chalet since it looks like a lot of driving to go there and back to Banff in one day. Since I am going to Calgary after 4 days in the mountains would it be smarter to drive up to the Icefields and back to Banff for the night or drive up to the Icefield stay at the chalet on the last night and then have to drive from there all the way back to Calgary?

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help picking a hotel in Banff

>>>>>>I did look at Douglas Fir resort and now have it at the top of my list. I am assuming that if I am in a condo type resort (with a kitchen) that it would be way cheaper to buy a few groceries on my way out of Calgary instead of buying them in Banff. <<<<<<

Canmore, which is 15 - 20 minutes from Banff townsite, also has good supermarkets.

>>>>>>I also considered trying to book one night at the Columbia Icefields Chalet since it looks like a lot of driving to go there and back to Banff in one day.<<<<<<

It's about 2.5 hours from Banff townsite to the Columbia Icefields. It's very feasible to drive there from Banff, ride the Snocoach onto the Athabasca Glacier, and drive back to Banff townsite the same day.

>>>>>>Since I am going to Calgary after 4 days in the mountains would it be smarter to drive up to the Icefields and back to Banff for the night or drive up to the Icefield stay at the chalet on the last night and then have to drive from there all the way back to Calgary?<<<<<<

Well, depending on where in Calgary you'll be staying, the drive from Banff to your Calgary accommodation will take a couple of hours. If you were driving from the Columbia Icefields to Calgary, you'd need to add 2.5 hours to your driving time. So Columbia Icefields to Calgary would be about 4.5 hours.

Also take into consideration the fact that there is only the one (less than inspiring) restaurant at the Columbia Icefields.

I personally think Lake Louise would be a better base than Banff. You might consider Paradise Lodge and Bungalows.

FYI, Lake Louise is just under an hour's drive from Banff townsite.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,041 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help picking a hotel in Banff

Douglas Fir Resort could be an excellent choice for your family. Although I have never stayed there, I have often camped at the nearby Tunnel Mountain campsite, and have made good use of their waterslide, kiddy pool, and hot mineral pool, which are available to non-guests for a fee. I've also frequently stopped at the tiny Chalet Grocery there for "a few essentials" (milk, ice cream); they also used to stock some luxuries (like nice deli pate & cheeses)--don't know if they do right now, as I haven't been there for a while.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,229 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help picking a hotel in Banff

I just stayed at the Caribou and the rooms are very nice. Mine did not have air conditioning as is the case with many hotels in the area. The outside rooms all have balconies so you may hear some noise but not very much imho. The inside rooms overlook a courtyard. There wasn't a pool but the jacuzzi was huge and quite nice. There is also a keg restarant downstairs and they have a free bus into town but walking is easy.

I drove from Banff to the icefields and back to Banff a few weeks ago and its doable but it does make for a long time. Try to get a reservation on a snocoach at around noon, and as Judy said there isn't much as way of food goes. Buy a lunch in Banff and picknic. You will be much better off. Saskatchewan Crossing is the only other place and they are owned by the same people at the icefield ctr.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help picking a hotel in Banff

Hello everybody,

I'll comment on the noise issues at Hidden Ridge.

In the times I have stayed there, the only noise problems I have experienced have to do with the sound of footsteps in the suite above you.

The last time we were there, we had a lower condo unit and the folks upstairs allowed their children to run amuck all day - complete with jumping off the bed and other furniture. The noise from this really was unbelievable. At 10:00 pm, I finally went upstairs and had a chat with my neighbour about my concerns. They had no idea that the floor was that noisy, and put a stop to all of the racket immediately, much to my relief.

As a rule, the sound of footsteps is generally not a concern to me (when it is within reason), but if you tend to be high-strung about other people's noise, then it may be an issue for you. If this is the case, you can request one of the units that is on an upper floor and circumvent this issue altogether.

I have never had problems with noise from traffic, trains, or partiers at the Hidden Ridge.

I hope this helps to alleviate some concerns.

- CG

9. Re: Need help picking a hotel in Banff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:22 am, August 12, 2009