We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

En route to Banff from the US border

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,273 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
En route to Banff from the US border

We will be heading from northern Montana to Banff at the end of our 17 night trip in September which starts and ends in Calgary and are having a hard time deciding where we should stay.

At the moment we have 2 days to get from Butte in Montana to Banff where we plan to stay for our last two nights.

Our options are -

a) Polson or Whitefish and then Invermere or,,,

b) Whitefish and then straight through to Banff.

This later option will give us an extra night in Banff but will mean us having to push on through BC so the question is, what is there to see and do en route from the border to Banff and is it worth staying the night in or around Invermere?

Bear in mind that our flight from Calgary back to the UK doesn't depart until the evening so we will have a fair portion of our last day to explore and to get from Banff to Calgary.

Thanks in advance.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,455 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: En route to Banff from the US border

Adam, good news is that the Rockies are not going anywhere so you can use this as an opportunity to case it out for your next trip.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,310 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: En route to Banff from the US border

With that explanation of your addition of Banff to your trip, I would further encourage driving through to Banff with a short stop at LL. On one of your days there, you could drive half way up the Icefields Parkway, then back to Banff. A full day mind, with all the stops at attractions, viewpoints, walks. Take a packed lunch, fill up the tank and don't plan on eating at the cafeteria at Saskatchewan River Crossing. Doing this creates the illusion that you've seen a lot of Rockies. The views and the mountains themselves do look different in each direction.

www.icefieldsparkway.ca

You know, we are so hungry for hockey here, I think we just might join you two in the soccer/football chat. We're about ready for any sports' life ring.

Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: En route to Banff from the US border

Hi Adam,

Very kind of you to say that about the Tigers, though Brian Horton (who still is 'dyed in the wool') was his usual dour self in the supermarket last night!

My Son (and his Son) are keener supporters than myself but he didn't renew their season tickets this year as he didn't like the way Nicky Barmby was treated. His 'claim to fame' is that he once played in the same team as NB- in a Yorkshire u11s side (obviously a long time ago).

I hear what you say- time pressures are always an issue, especially here as the distances are so huge. The upside is that driving is very easy and compare to the UK relaxing; I often wonder what visitors from N America make of our traffic levels/congestion!

With back trouble, I'd suggest booking a car with Hertz and hoping for an upgrade to a European car- I got a Volvo V70 with full cream leather interior after booking an Impala class. I also strongly recommend www.insurance4carhire.co.uk to cover your excess liability which has recently been extended to include hiring locally to your home address and limits lifted. Customers of Budget (esp ex YVR) wish they had this...

I initially thought #9 (which I didn't see) was a reaction to my post but it seems it was zapped due to 'self-promotion' so maybe no more than this?

PS The Tigers team you saw wasn't as good as the one which was the second ever to beat the Arsenal at the Emirates...Pity they weren't the first then we could have told them to shove it where the sun don't shine!

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: En route to Banff from the US border

Just outside Banff if you take the road left off Mt. Norquay road just before you get on Rt. 1....you can watch a beautiful sunset at Vermillion Lakes...with Mt. Rundell in the background. Just drive til you find a nice spot , pull off and enjoy!

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: En route to Banff from the US border

There is a small brown and yellow sign that points left to Vermillion Lakes, so it should be easy to find.

16. Re: En route to Banff from the US border

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, January 07, 2014