We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hidden Ridge Resort vs. Douglas Fir

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
274 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Hidden Ridge Resort vs. Douglas Fir

Trying to decide between these two for a group of 5 people. Has anyone stayed at both or visited both? I understand that each one has some renovated units.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hidden Ridge Resort vs. Douglas Fir

Okay, I'm going to fly right in here, since nobody seems to be answering your question.....

I have never stayed at Douglas Fir, only Hidden Ridge. Both are owned by the same company, so service tends to be similar. My sister regularly stays at either place, and she had no real preference between them, but she only ever needs a 1 bedroom suite. Douglas Fir, I believe, has a pool and waterslide, which Hidden Ridge does not.

I have stayed at the Hidden Ridge, and I loved it there. I really liked their "huge" outdoor hottub, which allows you a great opportunity to meet people from all over the world. However; for a party your size, you would need one of their "A frames", which I have read are not very attractive. From what I saw when I was there, I would have to agree - they looked like dumps! Plus, despite what their advertising says... none of the A-frames overlook the ridge - they are all in the center of the development!

So, I guess what I would recommend for a group of your size would be the Douglas Fir - their A-frame chalets would accommodate a group of your size, but the chalets are fairly new, so I think you would like them.

That is really the only distinction I would put on the 2 properties. The newer buildings at Hidden Ridge (1 and 2 bedroom units) are very nice, and I would highly recommend them, and the service there.

It's just that, for a group of your size, you would need a chalet, and I just can't recommend those at Hidden Ridge. They are too old to be acceptable.

Hope this helps you.

PS: If this is your first trip to the Canadian Rockies - you will LOVE it!!! have fun planning your trip....

- CG

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
274 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hidden Ridge Resort vs. Douglas Fir

Camping Girl,

Thanks for your info! Actually, we were thinking about the "Premier2 Bdrm with Loft" or "Deluxe One Bdrm with Loft with Ridge View" at Hidden Ridge rather than the chalets. Are you familiar with those? They are newer or recently refurbished? Do they have a view? We would not be interested in the chalets.

Similarly at Douglas Fir we weren't looking at the chalets, rather at the "One Bedroom Loft Condo" with 3 queen beds and a double sofabed.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hidden Ridge Resort vs. Douglas Fir

I stayed in the "deluxe one bedroom condo", I think it was called. They are on the ground floor. I believe that the lofts are above the condo units, which is nice b/c then you don't have to listen to foot steps above you! If you request a room with a ridge view, you will be on the outer loop of the property, with a nice view.

I posted a review of the Hidden Ridge, with pictures, on TA. If you want to see what our unit looked like, you can check that out in the Banff hotel reviews section.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
274 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hidden Ridge Resort vs. Douglas Fir

Camping_Girl and fellow traveladvisors

I checked out your review and pictures. Very helpful, thank you. We are deciding between the 2 Bdrm units at Hidden Ridge vs. renting a home in the town of Banff itself. The priority placed on me by the other 5 travelers has been there have to be 2 full bathrooms; I guess I can understand that. Our itinerary may need to be changed as we were planning on driving directly from Calgary to Jasper, but some of the folks will be having a long flight in, and we won't leave the airport until probably ~ 2 PM, so instead we were thinking:

Thursday - leave Calgary airport ~ 2 PM, drive to Banff, perhaps stop for a short walk around, drive on to Lake Louise and stay there for the night. We were looking at the Lake Louise Inn for lodging.

Fri - Drive up to Jasper, taking our time and stopping along the way. Lodging at Jasper House Bungalows or Jasper Inn.

Sat, Sun - From the Jasper base, explore Jasper National Park. Drive to Banff Sunday afternoon.

Mon - Drive back down the Icefields Parkway, stopping to see some of the things we missed on the way up. Set up new base in Lake Louise or Banff area. Looking at the 2 bdrm Hidden Ridge Resort units vs. renting a home in Banff town itself.

Tue, Wed, Thur - Explore Banff and Yoho National Parks.

Fri - Set out for Calgary ~ 8 AM to make a 1 PM flight.

Does anyone have any experience with the Lake Louise Inn?

Also, we were wanting to rent a van (not a minivan) in Calgary to carry all of us, but haven't had any luck with the "usual" internet car rental sites. The largest they have is a minivan. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the feedback!