We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Affordable Lodging Summer 2013?

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
657 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Any Affordable Lodging Summer 2013?

We are seriously considering a 10-12 trip to the area next summer. I've done some looking at hotels and they are sooo much money. Is there anything that you'd recommend that is decent, but in a nice area, for around $200 a night, including taxes? It seems like everything I've looked at is closer to $300. We are a family of 4 (me, DH, an 18 y/o and 16 y/o). I don't have any specific plans yet, but we'd like to do whatever we had time to do in Banff, Jasper, Lake Morraine, etc. We don't mind switching hotels as much as it makes sense to do.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,137 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Affordable Lodging Summer 2013?

If you use the lodgings search function on Banff Lake Louise:

www.banfflakelouise.com/Places-to-Stay/

and go to Advanced Search, you can put in your dates and what amenities you are looking for. A quick search brought up more than 20 properties with room prices under $200 per night. Of course, having 3 adults and one teenager in the room will probably increase the price somewhat, but I'm sure this search function will give you what you're looking for.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Affordable Lodging Summer 2013?

$200 for the national parks is on the low side for 4 adults. jasper is more expensive then banff. i'd recommend trying to book a cabin for your family. (just search accommodations and they'll mention them.) for banff, as long as you don't want fancy, take a look at the bow view motel family suite. it has a pull out couch in one room, in the other room is two queen beds...both rooms have tvs. it is not a large room but good location within walking distance to main street so the kids would be very safe to waunder off on their own.

if you can, up your budget to gie you more options.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,648 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Affordable Lodging Summer 2013?

In Jasper, PHA (private home accommodation) is a more economical accommodation option for a family like yours. You can get a suite with two bedrooms (or one bedroom and a pull-out in the living room) for about $150 per night. Some even have a full kitchen (but may cost a bit more), and there are no additional taxes on top of the quoted rate (hotel taxes in Jasper are 11%). There are also some that are set up like a hotel room that can accommodate four in the one room, which would be a bit cheaper. You'll find them all listed at www.stayinjasper.com. Jasper hotels and cabins are listed at www.jasper.travel.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Affordable Lodging Summer 2013?

For your Banff area, if you don't want or need to stay right in Banff, check out Canmore...use expedia.com WE got a 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath condo for under $100. Canmore is about 15 miles east of Banff but a decent drive....fast food & other chain restaurants + a Safeway for groceries.

Lloydminster...
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Affordable Lodging Summer 2013?

I second Canmore. My husband and I got a 2 bedroom condo at the beginning of August for 149.50 a night, it was fully furnished and had all the kitchen appliances and utensils, pots pans blender toaster, etc you need. Blackstone Mountain Lodge was where we stayed. I also stayed there with 4 other adults and 2 infants just last weekend in a two bedroom and had lots of room for a potluck with another party of people and a nice spacious deck/patio area. Because it was during the weekend we paid a bit more but still under 200 a night.

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
657 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Affordable Lodging Summer 2013?

Thank you, everyone, for your ideas. I will start exploring those other options.

Ohio
Level Contributor
253 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Affordable Lodging Summer 2013?

We found this to be one of the more expensive areas for lodging. On our last trip, I booked lodging with no cancellation fees and then continued to do a quick check on kayak for available lodging. Last minute specials came up. We went the first week in September so that helped. If you are going during July or August, you might not be as lucky. We booked the Rimrock in Banff for under $200.

Private home accommodations in Jasper are a good idea. We enjoyed staying in the basic cabins at Patricia Lake--beautiful location outside of Jasper but close. They were about $200/nt. They also have even cheaper hotel type rooms. The Grove there is more expensive.

jasper
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Affordable Lodging Summer 2013?

Do check out Private Home accommodation in Jasper. BBcanada.com is a very good website, as well as stayinjasper.com. both on www

There is a range in accommodations from just a bedroom witth bath to suites with kitchen...many are well under $200 and there are generally no extra fees such as taxes. Just like hotel choices you can get more "budget" type or more luxurious accommodations. The townsite is very walkable, making it easy to get to restaurants and shopping. Not only will you enjoy reasonable rates, you will have a resident to provide you visitor information.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Affordable Lodging Summer 2013?

A quick search for mid-August accommodation in Banff came up with basic, clean motel/hotel properties starting about $149/155 before tax. Definitely keep an eye on websites like expedia and kayak for any deals you can find in the meantime!

10. Re: Any Affordable Lodging Summer 2013?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, December 14, 2013