We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days - Drive Vancouver to Banff or Fly into Calgary?

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
4 days - Drive Vancouver to Banff or Fly into Calgary?

Hi All

I have 4 days after coming back from Fairbanks to see Banff / Lake Louise/ Emerald Lake etc. We had considered driving from Vancouver through, but am now wondering if I should fly into Calgary and then back track. (we will be flying out of Calgary to Hawaii)

There seems to be pros and cons - and the travel time doing a loop out to Revelstoke and back in might be just as much as driving straight through.

Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days - Drive Vancouver to Banff or Fly into Calgary?

Hi Reen~ Driving Vancouver to Banff is at least 10-11 hrs-----and that's just spent behind the wheel. For most people it's a 2 day trip which would give you very little time actually in the Rockies.

Check http://maps.google.com/ and I think you'll see what I mean.

Even flying into Calgary, and picking up a car won't give you lots of time, but it will allow you to see some of the Rockies, and enjoy the time in Banff and Lake Louise.

Book your flight!

Edited: 8:36 am, June 20, 2012
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,145 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days - Drive Vancouver to Banff or Fly into Calgary?

Definitely fly in and out of Calgary. Four days in the Canadian Rockies will only just give you a small taste of them and any time spent driving between Vancouver and Banff would be an absolute waste of time of which you have so little,

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,404 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days - Drive Vancouver to Banff or Fly into Calgary?

No question - fly into Calgary so you can actually see Banff. I like the scenery between Vancouver and Banff, but you just don't have enough time to see it and also enjoy Banff.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,541 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days - Drive Vancouver to Banff or Fly into Calgary?

You won't get to Revelstoke, so don't worry about it. Head from Calgary directly up to Jasper for two nights, then back down to Banff for two nights and return to Calgary. That's an absolute minimum amount of time in this area with no additional time to see anything else. But you'll be seeing the best parts, so that's what matters, right?

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,044 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days - Drive Vancouver to Banff or Fly into Calgary?

I'll just add to the growing chorus -- fly into Calgary.

West Vancouver, BC
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days - Drive Vancouver to Banff or Fly into Calgary?

I was 50/50 until you said you're flying out of Calgary. Fly to Calgary! No question. Vancouver to Banff is a beautiful, dramatic drive but it's also long. BC's mountains are pretty nice but the Canadian Rockies are some of the most amazing mountains you will ever see. Maximize your time there.

Revelstoke is a great place to ski and beautiful in its own right, but you aren't missing much in summer compared to the Rockies.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days - Drive Vancouver to Banff or Fly into Calgary?

Thanks all. Really appreciate your help - with limited time (always wish you could get more.... but you do what you can do!) we want to maximize of course!

So i'm sold - into Calgary it is!

Really, really appreciate you taking your time to advise me

Many thanks

:)

8. Re: 4 days - Drive Vancouver to Banff or Fly into Calgary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, June 24, 2013