We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minvan or full size SUV?

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Lafayette...
2 posts
Save Topic
Minvan or full size SUV?

A goup of 6 adults plan to vacation at Banff National Park and Lake Louise area. I know there're a lot of hills and mountains to climb. Full size SUV has more power than mini-van, but also cost more.

Is a minivan carrying 6 small-size adults powerfull enough and safe to travel in the area?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Minvan or full size SUV?

If you are sticking to the main roads a minivan should be fine. However, if you want to get off the beaten path I would go with the SUV. Of course, this is assuming that you are not visiting during the winter months......add snow to the picture and I would say definitely you should have an SUV in that case.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,642 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minvan or full size SUV?

There aren't really any "off the beaten path" places where you can go in the National Parks - vehicular traffic is kept under stick control, you have to stay on major roads.

In my opinion you'll have no problems whatsoever with a minivan.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,894 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minvan or full size SUV?

Its going to be hard to pack 6 people plus luggage into almost any vehicle but the minivan will be fan for anything in the parks.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,642 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minvan or full size SUV?

Good point from Dave... hope you're all light packers...

Cheers,

Terry

5. Re: Minvan or full size SUV?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:41 am, June 21, 2013