We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter travel from Banff to Jasper

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Winter travel from Banff to Jasper

Hello everyone,

We want to holiday in Banff and Lake Louise, and then travel to Jasper to take the VIA train to Vancouver. We will be there in late January or very early February 2013. Any suggestions? Have been googling but so far I can't find any bus transport.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,100 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter travel from Banff to Jasper

Your only option would be the Sundog Tours winter shuttle/tour service between the two centers:

sundogtours.com/sightseeing_winter_jasper-ba…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter travel from Banff to Jasper

Thank you for the reply - it's a bit strange though because I did email Sundog with this same question and they replied that I should take a Brewster bus. I'll look into it further.

Canadian Rockies...
Level Contributor
632 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter travel from Banff to Jasper

It appears Greyhound has a bus, but it's a long haul, I'm guessing it goes through Calgary & Edmonton. Hopefully Brewster has an option for you. Highway 93 north to Jasper is often pretty treacherous in the winter, glad to hear you aren't going to drive ;)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter travel from Banff to Jasper

Thanks smitten-kitten - definitely don't want to drive - would likely end in divorce if not hospital!! Ha, ha. It seems neither Brewster or Sundog have their winter schedules available online yet, which is why I'd been having trouble sourcing bus transport. When you put in the dates of travel they basically say 'no services on those dates' - I had taken this to mean they didn't operate on those dates. Both Brewster and Sundog have since contacted me to say their winter schedules will be available in September. I was just panicking a bit because I wanted to book the VIA train trip and wanted to make sure we could actually get to Jasper to catch it.; I didn't know how far ahead I'd have to book the train to ensure 2 sleepers on a particular date.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,735 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter travel from Banff to Jasper

smitten_kitten is correct - Greyhound does not drive up the Icefields Parkway for Banff to Jasper; you have to go Banff-Calgary-Edmonton-Jasper - a long and very dull route. The Sundog schedule may not be available for next winter, but is likely to be the same as last year's; they've had the same schedule for quite some time.

I don't know how far ahead you need to book VIA, but they do offer deals from time to time, especially at times of the year that are quieter, such as in the winter and early spring, so if they are not offering a discount now on the trip you are planning, I would be inclined to wait awhile to book. I don't think they limit the number of reservations - they can always add more cars to a train if they get more bookings ... the trains in summer are about three times as long as they are in winter.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter travel from Banff to Jasper

Thanks krp - the train is a pretty hefty price, so I will hold off a while and watch for specials. We fly home from Vancouver on 6th Feb and was going to get the train on 3rd Feb - so can't afford to miss that train really.

By the way, has anyone taken the VIA train on that route? Considering quite a lot of the travel time is at night so will miss a lot of the scenery along the way, which part of the trip would be most scenic eg Jasper to Kamloops, or Kamloops to Vancouver? We do have the option of reversing the trip - ie train from Vancouver to Jasper, then fly back from Calgary.

7. Re: Winter travel from Banff to Jasper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, June 21, 2013