We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Banff National Park in September, Help!!!!!

Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Banff National Park in September, Help!!!!!

I'm planning my first visit to Banff National Park in September, it will be around 6 days. I don't drive and love hiking/photography/wildlife. Appreciate if anyone can assist with information on hiking/photography tours. Thanks thanks thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Banff National Park
Banff National Park
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,634 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Banff National Park in September, Help!!!!!

I would suggest that you take a look at Discover Banff Tours for options, also Brewster. Both will pop up quickly on Google. Also, click on the "do I need to rent a car" question ( top right of your screen) to reach a page called Car Free in Banff.

September is lovely for hiking and photography -- you will have a great time!

Edited: 2:51 pm, February 26, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Discover Banff Tours
Discover Banff Tours
2,083 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Banff National Park in September, Help!!!!!

Not sure what your budget is, but you could google for specific photography trips in the Canadian Rockies. There are plenty of professional photographers offering these types of tours in various areas such as Banff and Jasper National parks. They can be quite costly though. Some names that come off the top of my head are Paul Zizka and John Marriot. If you google you will find several others.

As the last poster has mentioned you can try tour companies as well. They are not photograpy specific trips, but offer great opportunites for taking pictures and will be much cheaper.

There will be a lot of areas you can get to on your own to photograph. From the town of Banff there are several trails and beautiful places to photograph. You could consider renting a bike to get to some trailheads that are to far to walk to. Once in Banff head to the tourist info on Banff Avenue. They can give you lots of info and a map showing various areas to go to.

You can easily get from Banff to Lake Louise on the Brewster Bus. You can get dropped off a the Chateau hotel that sits at the edge of Lake Louise. There are several trails right from the lake. If you want to take a guided hike in the Lake Louise area I would recommend a company called Great Divide. You can google them.

No matter what you will be thrilled to be here as a person who loves photography. You can practically just swing your camera around in the air and snap beautiful shots.

P.S. You are coming at a great time. September is my favorite month in the Rockies.

Cheers

Edited: 3:16 pm, February 26, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Jasper National Park
Jasper National Park
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Banff Avenue
Banff Avenue
1,098 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Banff National Park in September, Help!!!!!

Thank you very much, both Destination Expert and Travelbug1999 for the very helpful information. I'll definitely check out the tour companies and websites you suggested.

Though I know photography tour usually cost more than normal tours, the only reason of joining photography tour is that I get to be taken to some seclusive locations at more photography lighting friendly time of the days(early in the morning and late in the afternoon).......

It's a looooong distance between Australia and Canada so I would definitely like to make the most of it. while I visit Canada!!! Can't wait!

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,929 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Banff National Park in September, Help!!!!!

For what it's worth, I did a quick web search on

Banff photography tour

and came up with this:

www.photoadventures.ca/Banff_PhotoTours.html

Quick lessons, probably in classroom setting?

www.banffphotography.com/pros_classes.html

3-day workshops in Banff:

www.royandersenphotography.com/workshops.html

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Banff National Park in September, Help!!!!!

Wow, Country_Wife, thanks for the cool links!! Will definitely check them out!

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Banff National Park in September, Help!!!!!

While their not "photo specific" many of the sightseeing tours are going to be your opportunity to get out and about to see the awesome scenery in Banff National Park.

Outside of town, there's 2 things you don't want to miss and will want to budget the time and money to visit.

1. Visit Lake Louise! Discover Banff tours offer a 1/2 day or a full day. The full day would be perfect for you and give you the free time you need to enjoy your day and take your photos.

2. Visit the Icefields Parkway and take a tour of the Columbia Icefields (the largest Glaciers in our area). This is a full day tour featuring some of the best scenery in our area. A bus tour is going to be the only way to explore this area if you haven't got a car.

Discover Banff tours: www.banfftours.com

Brewster Tours: www.explorerockies.com

If you were looking for a smaller, more private tour - you might look into spending a day with Great Divide Nature interpretation, White Mountain Adventures or Nature in Focus tours. They specialize in small groups, nature "interpretation" and hiking/nature walks.

Discover Banff Tours also have great hiking tours at a reasonable price. Transportation, lunch and guide is all included in the price.

Mentioned in this post
Banff National Park
Banff National Park
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Discover Banff Tours
Discover Banff Tours
2,083 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Banff National Park in September, Help!!!!!

Thanks very much banfflakelouise!! I checked out the links you mentioned and certainly some hikes look very good.

I also emailed the photography work shop Country-wife recommended.

So look forward to the trip!!!

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Banff National Park in September, Help!!!!!

Good Stuff! We appreciate when people take our advice to heart. We want you to have the best possible holiday.

Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Banff National Park in September, Help!!!!!

I've searching for most efficient/direct way from Jasper/Banff to Toronto but all the search result in flights from Toronto to Banff/Jasper but not the way around.

Could anyone please advise what options do I have to go to Toronto? Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Banff
Banff
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
19,582 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Banff National Park in September, Help!!!!!

I am not quite sure what your ideas are cattychen. Your first para confuses me. In regard to getting to Toronto you would need to fly from Calgary or spend the best part of four days on ViaRail from Jasper.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada