We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brokeback Mountain location info

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,911 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Brokeback Mountain location info

I have the info that Kananaskis Country provincial parkland was the site that was supposed to be Wyoming. The area around Kananaskis Lake campground and Mud Lake and King Creek were used. The crew stayed in Canmore. Ft. McLeod was where the 'town' scenes were filmed. My question is how close are these to Banff itself? Would it be a far drive? Is Ft. McLeod like the Fort outside of Edmonton where the recreated life during different time periods?

Mentioned in this post
Kananaskis Country
Kananaskis Country
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Canmore
Canmore
Kananaskis Country, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brokeback Mountain location info

Kananaskis is not very far from Banff. You drive east from Banff on the TransCanada Highway (Hwy #1), past Canmore. Then, when you reach the spot where Hwy #40 makes a T-junction with Hwy #1, you turn south on Hwy #40. That takes you through Kananaskis Country, down to Kananaskis Lakes and beyond to the Highwood Pass.

Here is a map of the Cowboy Trail. (Click on the map till it enlarges.) It shows you how Kananaskis Country fits into the larger context. K-Country is west of Bragg Creek and southeast of Banff townsite.

http://www.thecowboytrail.com/map.jpg

Here is an enlarged map of K-Country:

http://www.kananaskisvalley.com/mapbg.html

I didn't know for sure that Kananaskis Country was used for the filming, but I'm not surprised to hear it. There was one scenic shot that I could have sworn was the Highwood Pass.

Fort Macleod is about 2 hours' drive due south of Calgary on Hwy #2.

It would make for a full day's excursion, but it would be possible to drive from Banff to Fort Macleod, through K-Country, and back to Banff again in a day.

To do this, you could drive east on Hwy #1. At Hwy #22, you could turn south through Bragg Creek, Priddis, Turner Valley and Black Diamond. At Black Diamond, take Hwy #7 east till you hit the intersection with Hwy #2. Continue south on Hwy #2 till you reach Fort Macleod.

At Fort Macleod, turn west on Hwy #3 till Pincher Creek. Turn north onto the Cowboy Trail (Hwy #22) and drive through the foothills of the Rockies until Longview.

At Longview turn west onto Route #541. That road will naturally turn northwards in the vicinity of the Highwood Pass and become Hwy #40. Drive on up past Kananaskis Lakes and so on, till you reach Hwy #1.

Turn west on Hwy #1 and return to Banff.

The route I have given you skirts around Calgary to the west so that you don't have to get embroiled in city traffic. It then takes you down flat Hwy #2 on the way to Fort Macleod. It brings you back through the attractive foothills landscape of the Cowboy Trail, and finally brings you up through the attractive mountains of Kananaskis Country. This leaves the best scenery till the second half of the day.

Here is another website, entitled "A Day Trip through Southern Alberta," which tells you the things that there are to see between Calgary and the US border:

http://www.albertawebride.com/

Mentioned in this post
Kananaskis Country
Kananaskis Country
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Banff
Banff
Canmore
Canmore
Kananaskis Country, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brokeback Mountain location info

I would just like to add to Judy's reply that the Kananaskis Trail (Hwy #40) is closed between Longview and Kananaskis Country from November 15 to June 15 each year.

Some people I know were extras in the movie -I am anxious to watch it and see if I recognize any faces!

Here is a link to a website that shows all of the filming locations, if you're interested:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/locations

Mentioned in this post
Kananaskis Country
Kananaskis Country
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,709 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brokeback Mountain location info

>>Ft. McLeod was where the 'town' scenes were filmed. ... Is Ft. McLeod like the Fort outside of Edmonton where the recreated life during different time periods?<<

No, Fort Macleod is not like Fort Edmonton Park, which is a living history village. It is a small town with a number of well-preserved old buildings. Ft. Macleod has simply retained the "Fort" part of its name, like the other Canadian towns & cities of Ft. Langley, Ft. Chipewyan, Ft. Smith, Ft. Saskatchewan, etc. (Other settlements, like Ft. William, Ft. Steele, Ft. Calgary, and Ft. Edmonton, modernized their names in various ways, usually just by losing the word "Fort".) Fort Macleod started as a NWMP (now RCMP) post, and today has a replica fort which serves as a museum. I don't believe the museum does living history in any major way, although it has hosted the RCMP Musical Ride in the past.

http://calgary.foundlocally.com/

Travel/Near-FtMacleod.htm

BTW, to drive to Fort Macleod from Calgary, just take Macleod Trail southbound and keep right on going (and going and going...)

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Fort Edmonton Park
Fort Edmonton Park
1,584 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brokeback Mountain location info

I visit the Canadian Rockies every year but never went to Kananaskis. I will be in Calgary the end of Feb. Is it too early in the season to look for those beautiful scenery in Kananaskis?

I will also return in April. What about then?

Mentioned in this post
Kananaskis Country
Kananaskis Country
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
calgary, ab
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brokeback Mountain location info

lots of snow in Kananaskis Country right now, great scenery if you do any cross country skiing as there are over 50 km of track set trails of every different abiltity.

Beautiful drive any time of year and the roads are kept pretty good.

Have fun

Mentioned in this post
Kananaskis Country
Kananaskis Country
Canadian Rockies, Canada
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,911 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brokeback Mountain location info

thanks for the info. I'm going to Banff 4/20 for a trip on the Rocky Mountaineer. Would you think Moraine Lk would be thawed by then or is way too early? What about the Columbia Icefields? I'll be at Lk Louise for a nite, though I would think nothing thaws till mid june, am I correct?

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brokeback Mountain location info

I think you'll probably be out of luck. Most of the lakes are still frozen in early June. Although this has been a really weird winter, so I guess anything is possible....

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Brokeback Mountain location info

sabola,

Kananaskis is a large and diverse area that includes some high peaks along the continental divide and the rolling foothills as the mountains turn into prairie. As such, there are a variety of activities that can be done throughout the year. In February, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, downhill skiing, snowmobiling, and hiking are possible. April probably won't be much different. Note that some highways and access roads are closed until May or June.

While much of Kananaskis is protected parkland, there are some "multi-use" areas where you may see activities like snowmobiling, off-roading, oil/gas exploration, cattle grazing, hunting, and logging.

Mentioned in this post
Kananaskis Country
Kananaskis Country
Canadian Rockies, Canada