We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski Equipment

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ski Equipment

I'm coming to Banff for a skiing holiday in January 2006. Being from the UK we are used to the feeling that everything is more expensive. As the exchange rate is pretty good for us at the moment I was thinking of waiting until I get to Banff to buy my ski boots and salopettes. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what these things cost over there?

Here it's about £100 for a decent pair of salopettes and around £150-£200 for ski boots.

rocky mountains
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski Equipment

There's considerable variation in prices, but Banff may not offer the best bargains. If you can, stop off in Calgary to get your ski wear. If that isn't possible, head for Sport Chek in Banff - usually the least expensive in town.

How much you pay really depends on what you want to get - beginner boots or something more advanced?

Try this to get an idea:

sportchek.ca/specific_product_category.jhtml…

and bear in mind that there may also be special offers when you get there.

The exchange rate is not as good as it was a few months back, but still somewhat cheaper than in UK

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski Equipment

Actually, given the amount of competition in Banff, prices there are very reasonable. It's not like other resort towns where all the stores are owned by the same company. It's not worth spending extra time in Calgary to buy gear.

100 GBP is about equal to $220 CDN (I was in the UK last week). And $200 will buy a decent pair of boots. Your $440 top end will buy very nice boots.

www.sportchek.ca and www.sportmart.ca will give you an idea of prices. These are large chain stores that will be a little cheaper than the independant places in Banff, but they have websites with prices. And there will be 7% added on top of the prices for GST. I think you can claim the GST back when you leave, but I'm not sure the process.