We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How different is Banff from Alaska?

review_my_hotel
Level Contributor
129 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How different is Banff from Alaska?

We are a couple in our early 30's that are planning a 4-5 day trip from SF to Banff. We were in Alaska last summer and I am wondering how different or alike(things like Scenery/things to do/weather) Banff is from Alaska.

Thanks for your responses in Advance :)

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How different is Banff from Alaska?

I haven't travelled to Alaska, but I would be quite surprised if it was substantially similar. Alaska is on the coast, for starters, which makes for a huge difference. Also, there is (I suspect) a larger population base in the area of the Canadian Rockies than there is in Alaska.

But to get a perspective from someone who has been there, you might want to read the trip reports from TA member Frommy, who visited both last summer. This thread has a brief discussion of the two destinations, plus links to Frommy's trip reports:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154912-i569-k2539…

review_my_hotel
Level Contributor
129 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How different is Banff from Alaska?

Thank you CW. I'll look into the link you provided. :)

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How different is Banff from Alaska?

You'll have to come see for yourself! Like Alaska, Banff National Park is the size of a small country with incredible diversity in each corner. 4-5 days will give you a taste of what our incredible area has to offer.

banfflakelouise

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,117 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How different is Banff from Alaska?

Thanks for the referal, C_W, but I deliberately left this inquiry alone last night because I think OP might be refering to the main body of AK, Denali etc, and my only experience is with the three usual ports of call in SE AK, Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. There is a lot more water in those areas than in the Rockies (ha ha).

I do follow activities on the AK forum, but generally do not read threads dealing with areas other than where I have visted.

One thing I can advise with a little bit of confidence, review, is that Banff township, in summer as a winter ski resort, would not have an equivalent in AK. It is a very pretty tourist town surrounded by lots of rugged wilderness. From TV doco's on AK I have watched I think that the Rockies are far more spectacular than anything I have seen in Denali NP for example as far as mountains go.

I would definitely recommend the Rockies, Banff and Jasper, and particularly the Icefields Parkway linking them both.

dallas
Level Contributor
50 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How different is Banff from Alaska?

I did the inside passage of Alaska in 2008 and Banff in 2009. In my opinion, they're very different. The towns are a style all to their own. Ketchikan is a rainforest, Skagway is an old west town, and Juneau is a busy city. Banff is a tourist town with beautiful lodges, hotels, waterfall and river. The highway in Alberta, Canada is gorgeous with frequent wildlife along the roads. Several lakes outside of Banff (Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, Bow Lake, Peyto Lake and Mirror Lake) are something I never saw in Alaska. They're not just beautiful, they're breathtaking. Calgary is always warmer than Banff, but Banff is always warmer than Peyto Lake and Athabasca Glacier; it's such a vast difference as you drive. For these reasons, no one can say "I've seen Alaska so I have seen Banff." Banff is a must-see. Also, when I went to Banff in June of 2009, the American dollar was stronger (89 cents to the American dollar). That's a very good reason to go to Canada since the American dollar is weaker than the euro and British pound and still an American dollar in Alaska.

6. Re: How different is Banff from Alaska?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 29, 2010